Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new problem...got caught in the rain... (Electrical?!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    You just eliminated a metric bikeload of problems. Now:
    Go.To. Bed.

Have fun tomorrow!
    HAHAHAHA...NEVER, SCOTT! NOT UNTIL SHE PURRS!

I seriously have to AT LEAST get this solved...it'll bother me, and I legitimately will NOT be able to sleep. Friends worry about me, because I CANNOT STOP until the problem is solved...even if I don't ride after I'm done, I HAVE TO solve it. I LOVE my bikes...
    80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
    MAC 4-1
    K&N Pods
    Accel 3.0 coils
    Tarozzi fork brace
    TC fusebox

Picture update soon

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...psej6wqu9l.jpg

79' XS1100 SF (parts, will be reborn)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...snfgpozqn.jpeg

Comment

Update...

Cleaned all harness connections, including the kill-switch. Still sounds weird on the right side, but when I put it in gear, no change in idle. I wanna get my kill assembly to test it out, but worried that it might kick it when warmed up.....
      80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
      MAC 4-1
      K&N Pods
      Accel 3.0 coils
      Tarozzi fork brace
      TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Have you swapped plug wires left and right? They should be long enough to reach the opposite cylinders. Try that and see if the miss follows the ignition or stays with the cylinder. Additionally, I've had cracked porcelain on a plug that caused a similar issue under load, would not have known it was there if I didn't pull all the plugs.
        79 F

Comment

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
          Have you swapped plug wires left and right? They should be long enough to reach the opposite cylinders. Try that and see if the miss follows the ignition or stays with the cylinder. Additionally, I've had cracked porcelain on a plug that caused a similar issue under load, would not have known it was there if I didn't pull all the plugs.
          just checked that...plugs are good; wires are fine. This is driving me NUTS...it's SO NICE OUT today, too....

Just started it up, and spun it around my apartment parking lot...like I said, the neutral to first gear-bogging has gone away, but it's running like GARBAGE...just plain weak.
          80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
          MAC 4-1
          K&N Pods
          Accel 3.0 coils
          Tarozzi fork brace
          TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Alright! You're having fun now!

What is the pick-up coil resistance? It should be ~720 Ohms +/- 20%.

Remove the seat and use your Ohm meter on the wire pairs in the 4-pole TCI connector:
            White/Red to White/Green for pick-up #1
            Yellow/Red to Yellow/Green for pick-up #2

You can also do a ignition coil and spark plug swap test.

Pull the fuel tank
            Swap the Orange and Gray wires for the coils
            (Red/White wire is coil Primary + for both coils, Orange and Gray are coil -)
            Swap the spark plugs -- 1&4 to 2&3 and vice versa
            Swap the spark plug wires

If it's a coil or other high voltage problem the burbling babble will be on the left-hand side now instead of the right-hand side.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I have to work until midnight...going to get back at it then. Gonna test the TCI first...there was a pretty big hole on the plastic fender behind it...that very well could be what happened. The coils are BRAND NEW...I REALLY hope it isn't those. That would suuuuuuuck.
              80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
              MAC 4-1
              K&N Pods
              Accel 3.0 coils
              Tarozzi fork brace
              TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

It would well and truly suck but 'stuff' happens.

Have you checked the valve clearances? The valves slowly pound their way deeper into the head as they wear, that makes the valve stem stick up higher in the head and the clearance between the valve shim and the cam journal gets smaller.

When the valve clearances finally get too tight, the valve won't close and seat or it will only close when the engine is cold. As soon as it warms up, the valve can't seat, the engine won't run for squat and you'll go mad trying to chase ignition and fuel problems.

You can end up with a bunch of cool new parts and you'll learn a lot about installing, tuning, and troubleshooting too.
                -- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                  It would well and truly suck but 'stuff' happens.

Have you checked the valve clearances? The valves slowly pound their way deeper into the head as they wear, that makes the valve stem stick up higher in the head and the clearance between the valve shim and the cam journal gets smaller.

When the valve clearances finally get too tight, the valve won't close and seat or it will only close when the engine is cold. As soon as it warms up, the valve can't seat, the engine won't run for squat and you'll go mad trying to chase ignition and fuel problems.

You can end up with a bunch of cool new parts and you'll learn a lot about installing, tuning, and troubleshooting too.
                  Ahhhh, right on! QUESTION: So, I completely went through the head on my SF...including cleaning and lapping the valves, stem seals, etc. Ran into a roadblock with that bike, and ended up having an easier time getting the SG running. Can I use components from the SF head on the SG??
                  80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                  MAC 4-1
                  K&N Pods
                  Accel 3.0 coils
                  Tarozzi fork brace
                  TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Different heads between the F and G. G has a larger valve. Easy thing is pull the valve cover and measure the clearance all the way across. Write it all down in a chart like form, and if they are too tight write down what size is in each position so you know what size you need to bring it back to spec. The SHIMS WILL swap between them, so you may be able to see what you have around and not have to get any, if your lucky...
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

No, the valves and cams are different between the early and later heads. You can share the valve buckets, shims, valve cover, and some of the hardware dumafetchits but that's about it.

Technically you can put the '79 head on your '80 engine with the '79 cams to get a nice boost from the domed pistons with the smaller combustion chamber. With less piston-to-valve clearance you have to stay on top of the valve shim-to-cam clearances and try not to miss a shift but several people have done it and it didn't 'splode or anything.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

What Ray said!

Ray used to work on these bad boys back in the day and pre-ordered his 1100 before they even made them, if there's ever any discrepancy between anything I say and what Ray says, listen to Ray and tell me to sit and spin.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Originally posted by ERM83 View Post
                          just checked that...plugs are good; wires are fine. This is driving me NUTS...it's SO NICE OUT today, too....

Just started it up, and spun it around my apartment parking lot...like I said, the neutral to first gear-bogging has gone away, but it's running like GARBAGE...just plain weak.
                          So you swapped the two sets of wires (1/2 hooked to 3/4 and 3/4 hooked to 1/2) and it exhibited the exact same symptoms. The right bank still ran "flat"?

Seems to me that if you verified the problem is NOT ignition related by swapping L/R then it is a mechanical issue and no amount of multi metering will prove anything of merit. If the symptoms followed the swap then I would agree with continue the electrical snipe hunt, but if the running condition was unchanged I would check the compression and make sure the carbs are spot on.
                          79 F

Comment

I'm pretty sure he just swapped the wires, 1&4, 2&3, but not the coils and plugs.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Ok....coils check out fine. Not only did I check them with a multimeter, but checked them with an inline spark tester...all good there. Checked the plug at the TCI...perfectly fine. I am at a loss...let's just say that if it was the other forum, there would be PLENTY of expletives in this post. WHAT AM I MISSING?!?! It's still running like garbage...I cleaned EVERY plug, checked EVERY wire...I have ZERO idea what it could be, and I'm about to lose my mind. also, the bike is my main mode of transportation, so I kind of have to get it going, hence the stress. My car is hurting at the moment as well. How could it be the carbs?! I just checked them on Sunday...they're pristine. SO. ANGRY....
                              80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                              MAC 4-1
                              K&N Pods
                              Accel 3.0 coils
                              Tarozzi fork brace
                              TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Could it be a carb issue?? When I yanked/checked them, they seemed fine....however, after the electrical checks, I'm thinking back to the shotgun-backfire. What carb issue would cause that??
                                80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                                MAC 4-1
                                K&N Pods
                                Accel 3.0 coils
                                Tarozzi fork brace
                                TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Working...
                                X