Final Drive Leak & Oily Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Leak & Oily Tire

I've got a leak coming from the final drive on my '80 Midnight Special that ends up throwing oil all on the left side of the rear wheel. I've put UV dye into the oil and it appears to only be coming from the inside seal by the wheel.
    Question is, do I only need to replace the large seal that I can see from the wheel side of the final drive (as pictured)?
    Or do I need to tear the whole thing down and replace tons of other seals (no fun)?

I don't have any other visible leaks coming from the drive line.

And finally, where do I go about getting any of these seals? Can I just order a generic seal that has the same numbers on it (70x90x10)?

Many Thanks!

80 LG

I had the same issue with my BMW R100, also shaft drive. I replaced only the big seal and everything was made right.

(Different set up on the BMW, but in my case I disturbed the seal by gooping on too much grease onto the drive splines. When I pushed the wheel back onto the drive, hydraulic pressure of the grease pushed the seal.)
    Last edited by FranksBMW; 02-25-2017, 01:01 PM.
    1981H XS1100
    1981 BMW R100

My photo/moto site: frankfoto.jimdo.com

Comment

Before just assuming a seal leak, I suggest first cleaning those splines and seal off with some Brake-Clean or whatever getting things really clean and dry. Then get ya' a tube of Honda Moly 60(local Honda dealer) and wipe a good film on those splines and a bit on the gear drive spines and put it back together. Just ride it a bit and watch for any lube leak.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Before just assuming a seal leak, I suggest first cleaning those splines and seal off with some Brake-Clean or whatever getting things really clean and dry. Then get ya' a tube of Honda Moly 60(local Honda dealer) and wipe a good film on those splines and a bit on the gear drive spines and put it back together. Just ride it a bit and watch for any lube leak.
        +1.....the grease has a habit of slinging off those splines especially if you get a little too much in there.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If you do need the seal it's available from Partzilla. #25 in the diagram.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...AFT/parts.html
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If I'm reading it correctly, I think #25 in that diagram is a nut.

Maybe #27?
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
              If I'm reading it correctly, I think #25 in that diagram is a nut.

Maybe #27?
              You are correct. My bad. Typed the wrong number in.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
              X