Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeved cylinder heads deteriorated.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently replacing my piston rings and restoring the engine from there up as best as possible on my 1981 xs11.

After removing my jugs, I noticed that the plastic sleeves on the two cylinder studs (front/inside edge of cyl. 1 and 4) were completely deteriorated. I'm not sure what the function of these are, and wondering if I can get away with putting my engine back together without the sleeves. What are the risks?

It looks like I would need to replace the studs entirely if the sleeves are critical, but I would run a high risk of snapping the studs during removal (or not finding replacements), and I can't really afford a new crankcase...

Thanks for the wisdom!
    J.
    81 H

I know the feeling

I have not pulled the head on either of my XS11s, but I have found the same plastic sleeves in my XS750s.

I read the purpose was for rust prevention, but that seems hard to believe because they fit loosely.

I don't think they are important at all. On my project, they crumbled into pieces, so I just pulled out the pieces, and wire brushed the long studs. Then I coated them with a coat of grease to make me feel better about rust. I don't know if the grease would be effective with the heat, but it made me feel better.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

You can rebuild without them with no problems.

As you say they crumble when removing the Jugs, all mine have and all rebuilt without.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
        I have not pulled the head on either of my XS11s, but I have found the same plastic sleeves in my XS750s.

I read the purpose was for rust prevention, but that seems hard to believe because they fit loosely.

I don't think they are important at all. On my project, they crumbled into pieces, so I just pulled out the pieces, and wire brushed the long studs. Then I coated them with a coat of grease to make me feel better about rust. I don't know if the grease would be effective with the heat, but it made me feel better.
        hi Mike,
        A bit of lubrication is always good makes it easier to get it in or do I mean on
        Thanks for sharing your experience of an area I have no knowledge.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Those stud sleeves are not needed. You can go ahead and rebuild everything without them.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I replaced them with a couple of layers of heat-shrink tubing. It's cheap and easy, and it might protect against corrosion. One stud did have a little corrosion damage.

Comment

Thanks, all this makes me feel better about getting everything buttoned up!
              Say, might anyone have an extra shim adjustment tool I could buy?
              81 H

Comment

Funny you should ask, forum member LGNM just posted some '79F parts in the For Sale forum and a valve tool too:-

Updated list 2/25/17- small items
                Valve shims - 10 assorted sizes with installation tool $30
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                X