Fuse Layout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse Layout?

I feel like this really is a dumb question, but I've searched a lot on here and on google and still haven't been able to find the answer. I bought this bike a few weeks ago after it had sat for years and have rebuilt the carbs, cleaned and coated the gas tank, and changed the plugs, and I'm about ready to attempt a start except for the fuses.
    I have a new fuse box and am ready to do the swap, but my bike came without one of the fuses, and I have been unable to find any information on what size fuses are needed and in which position they belong, so any info on that would be very helpful. Thanks! This photo shows the missing fuse.
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuDyYBPTiKNIhEWT1Pnye5HaQLng
    1980 XS 1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Standard

left to right:

Tail Light 10A
    Headlight 10A
    Turn Signals 20A
    Ignition 10A

There's also the main 30A fuse located on left side behind side cover (unless it's been re-located)

Comment

Perfect, thank you very much!
      1980 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Hey Marshall,

Dave gave you the info, but in case you get mixed up a little, if you look closer, you'll see that the 3rd set from the left are also a bit wider/thicker gauge wire than the others, that's the turn signals, they are designed to take more power due to the THERMAL turn signal and the amount of current they need to draw/run to work, hence the 20 amp fuse vs. all of the other circuits that are 10A.

And was also stated, Yamaha put the MAIN on the other side in a separate holder, ALSO a glass fuse, so you'll want to either replace that holder with a single one, OR...move those wires over to the main fuse panel.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! I got the bike running tonight but it sounds like it'll need some motor work
          1980 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Check valves and carb sync, then if there is no loud knock from the bottom, ride it! IF it's been sitting, the rings are probably stuck so it will use oil, and smoke, for about 500 miles.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I may need to replace my fuse box too.
              80 G

Comment

Last night I replaced the head lamp fuse twice. The bottom clip is loose and melted the plastic.
                80 G

Comment

A zip tie is working...for now.
                  80 G

Comment

Order a blade type fuse box from Topcat, he stocks them for members.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by speedlimit85 View Post
                      I may need to replace my fuse box too.
                      Hi Speedlimit85,
                      There is NO MAYBE. You need to replace the fuse box.
                      Your choices are the out dated replacement of a 1938 brilliant design
                      or update to the current more reliable blade fuse

TC offers an easy solution or you can source it locally....for a few $$ more.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                      X