Steering Head Bearing Removal Tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ian,
    It was a few years ago now but I recall the removal of teh Steering Head bearing. I was fortunate to have Rick and James operating on Addie.
    It helps to have a Hammer

and
    BEER

The front end has to come OFF

Rick going in for the "kill"

Thanks for the reminder of a good time with friends. It sure helps to have friends who know what they are doing.
    I was tasked with removing the part from the Triple tree , red hammer in middle of drawer, with cold chisel.
    Ricks instruction: I said Hit it not Tap it.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks for the pics Phil! The tires are being replaced, so it's a perfect time to do the bearings. Replacing the chain on the Triumph, along with different fog lights, so looks like it will be a busy day for me.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

good luck Ian

I am doing the bearing now and the tires too on old Red. Dremel is the way to go on the bottom. The rest is a cake walk. Like night and day after the change. I did my black 79 last spring. TAKE THE TANK OFF first.
        79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
        85 Honda v65 Magna
        70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
        02 Road King (retirement gift)
        First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Roger that! Hopefully I can get into the corners of the on-ramps again with the change of tires and bearings.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

steering

as usual, the top was easy, the bottom is a bitch. I tried to modify all kinds of punches with no luck. I was trying to find another way instead of the dremel. OK, give up, back to the dremel ( almost out ), gotta go get another wheel for the dremel. Magic motorsports keeps the correct all balls bearing in stock. Waterford, MI.
            85 Honda v65 Magna

Comment

Magic's is a cool shop! Already had the bearings. So, looks like dremel is the way to go. My boss is loaning me his Motion Pro bearing tool.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                Magic's is a cool shop! Already had the bearings. So, looks like dremel is the way to go. My boss is loaning me his Motion Pro bearing tool.
                Hi Ian,
                I am sure others will be interested to hear and see pictures of how that bearing puller works for you. I have heard that All Balls are not the longest lasting bearings but no personal experience. Be sure to work the grease into the bearings where it is needed, there is a tool for that too but the heel of your hand works too . But you already knew all that
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hey Ian,

Not sure if you saw my Godzilla rebuild thread, but I posted a fair number of photos regarding my process of the steering head bearings removal I did?

It starts at this post below.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...8&postcount=14

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Steering bearings done

Ian, If you have and questions, give me a call. 248 736 6222
                    85 Honda v65 Magna

Comment

Wooden Dowel

Gotta love the manual, says to use a wooden stick or dowel. What planet are they from ?
                      85 Honda v65 Magna

Comment

Originally posted by vedgar View Post
                        Gotta love the manual, says to use a wooden stick or dowel. What planet are they from ?
                        yes an ironwood rod
                        Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                        Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                        and SOXS
                        2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Well, got the steering head bearings done today. Looking back at it now, I have confidence in doing it quicker and better the next time, which I will have to on my Triumph.

I had a nice piece of stainless steel bar stock cut at a 45 degree cut, with a nice point, ready to catch the outer race. That was worthless!!! Could not catch the race. I ended-up cutting the upper & lower races with the dremel, then bashing them in-half with a sledge and that stainless flatstock (acting as a cold chisel).

The bad news was cutting into the actual neck, but hopefully it did not hurt it too much. The other bit of bad news was the fact that the bearings I took out were tapered bearings. Not sure if the PO did not grease them properly or not, but the top bearing was kinda still still, and the bottom bearing was smooth. Not sure if it is the case, but not having the dust seal installed in the top may/may not allow for premature wear? I did note that using the dust seal in the top allows for too much gap between the top yoke and the steering neck. So, I had to take it back apart and remove the upper dust seal.

I did not have a spanner with a 3/8" drive attachment point to be used in-conjuction with a torque wrench, so I used the spanner wrench to tighten the bottom locking nut just enough to allow the wheel to fall to either side (which I presumed to be too loose, but Greg said to follow this).

The front-end is put back together. I left the fender off, as I have to take the front wheel back off to replace it with a new set of tires, despite the front still being good. I'll save it just in-case.

Waiting on the machine shop to finish my cylinder bore/hone job, and I'll throw that back on.
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

The reason for the bearings to be loose enough to fall side to side is any resistance will cause you to actually steer the front end to maintain your line which will cause lack of control by it being jerky (for lack of a better word).

Sticky steering bearings cause constant accidental over steer and over correction.

It will seem like a whole new bike with a smooth steering head.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                            X