Steering Bearings Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Bearings Loose

While replacing the speedometer on the Bagger, I checked the free play in the steering head.

I was shocked to find it had quite a bit of free play.

I put in new bearings earlier this year. I got it on the road in August. I ran it about 2,000 miles since then.

It took about 3/4 to 1 full turn on the spanner nut to get it back to where it should be.

It's hard to do the "fall-away method" with the cables attached. The FSM calls for 7-8 ft-lbs on the nut, which comes out tight for the "fall away".

I ended up just compromising with a little less than 7-8 ft-lbs, but a bit tight for "fall-away.

Moral: Steering bearings can settle in after assembly; even if you think the races were fully seated.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Mine did the same thing. I was getting a 'clunk' when I hit the front brake, took me a while to figure out what it was.

I think it was because that lower race is such a PITA it wasn't seated all the way.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Maybe after initial installation, xs11 riders should ride up and down our gravel wash-board roads to break them in and then re-adjust the steering bearings! Haha!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
        Maybe after initial installation, xs11 riders should ride up and down our gravel wash-board roads to break them in and then re-adjust the steering bearings! Haha!
        Would such a ride also include a paint job/exhaust replacement?.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

FWIW; for my ride, the manual says to torque the stem nut down to twice the running torque then back off and re-torque to the running spec. Supposedly to seat the new races (?). Still need to re-torque each season though.
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Would such a ride also include a paint job/exhaust replacement?.
            Only if you crash the bike! Never crashed mine on these dirt roads in the neighborhood. --knock on wood.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
            X