No announcement yet.

WIX 24933 oil filters with o-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a couple of dabs of strategically placed RTV for those O ring bends that won't sit flat. I do a lot of riding so I change the filter every 9 thou. miles.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      I do a lot of riding so I change the filter every 9 thou. miles.
      I change mine every oil change (3000 miles) just like my car.

What's an extra 3 - 6 bucks?
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have 2 engines with over 100 thou. miles and they don't burn any oil between 3 thou. mile oil changes, no bearing knock, etc. I used to change the filter every time but I found that to be overkill, now I change it every 3 times, works for me, YMMV
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Hey, Phil, 9,000 miles or kilometers?

Yeah, the filters really aren't very big but with a 2,000-mile oil change interval, it's still a little bit much to change it every single time. Unless I do something more stupid than usual, I change the filter every second oil change so it's usually somewhere around 4,000 miles at the most.

As it gets dirty, the pressure drop across the filter will force it into bypass quicker and more often so the oil can flow. It might stay partially in bypass just toolin' down the road and whenever it's in bypass you basically don't have a filter, the oil's just going around it. If you keep clean oil in the sump then going onto bypass really isn't too scary unless someone used RTV to tack the o-ring in place.

RTV? Really? At the filter cup with a 9k filter change interval? What's the name of that old Beatles album? Revolver!
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Oh you guys worry too much. Just a "dab" of RTV under a small area where the O ring is lifted ain't gonna hurt. Yes, 9000K miles, I'm in Florida, not Canada.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

(click)

Heh, I'm bustin' your chops, man, just don't do a "Deerhunter" with (click) the RTV.

I don't (click) have the patience to wait for RTV to set up, closest I ever tried was contact (click) cement but it had to be (click) too clean to stick the 'ring down so I switched to sticky grease.
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yep bro, no problem. Now I see why you bought a case of filters, changing them every 2000K, I think I will at least switch to WIX brand, they are better than the Frams.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

I didn't really like the Fram filter I bought. It didn't look or feel as well made as the OEM filter it was replacing and the box was missing the o-rings too, just like the Yamaha filter. Nope, not doing that again.... Both of those filters' 'missing' o-rings may have been accidental but so far the only consistent and inexpensive -- not cheap! aftermarket replacement that I've found has been the NAPA/WIX filters.

The good book of Yamaha says the oil's supposed to get changed at 4,800km (3,000mi) and the filter every second fill at 9,600km (6,000mi), that's why I asked if you were going by kilometers instead of miles. I use my trusty left foot and the shifter to tell me when to change the oil and when the transmission gets "notchy" then the oil goes bye-bye. With my '80G that good old feeling usually began to happen somewhere around 2,000 miles and I'm really hoping my 'new' XJ11 will do better than that.

Department of, "Just one more thing!" With the constantly decreasing levels of zinc to meet emissions regs even in HDEO I honestly don't know if the additive packs will last for the old factory interval so I can get 6k out of the filters.

I'm seriously starting to look at prices for bulk HDEO before the ZDDP goes away and I have to start riding my skateboard to Wallyworld again.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

All the Frams I've bought have both the O-rings, I have had some of them that were made in Canada, Taiwan, or China. I still have a few Frams left so that oughta still last me a good while.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

That's actually good to know. It used to be listed as a stock item so the shipping is free to the store but none of the parts houses here keep the filter on the shelf. If I have to order a Fram and it doesn't have o-rings I can make them find them or get my money back and buy another case of WIX.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Hey Scott,

Years ago when I added the O-ring groove to my SOFA's, I had to source the O-rings to provide them with the plates. I tried to position the Sofa Groove in essentially the same place as the OEM cup groove. I got them from McMaster-Carr.

Here's the specs:
                        1/8"/0.125"/3.175mm thick 4-5/8"/4.609"ID

Buna-N Oring Hard 70:AS568a / 9452K197 250deg. 25 pk/$9.30...now $7.25

4.609" ID/ .139" thick
                        The prices may not be exact, but still think they are fairly reasonable for the quantity along with the quantity of rings, even with the ~$8.00 S&H fee.

I didn't need the filter cup bolt O-ring, but I'm sure they(McMaster-Carr) would have them in that size also!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That's not bad, T.C.!

The one and only time I ever bought a Fram it didn't have the o-rings. I didn't have time to argue or try to get another one because it was the day before I was going up north to my first ever XS11 rally in Yosemite, California: Nightmare in Mariposa. Dun-dun-DUN!

We now have a local, relatively new (I keep forgetting it's here) Fastenal outlet. The quantities are lower and the prices are higher than McMaster-Carr but now I know where to send the sales clerk the next time I buy a filter and the o-rings are missing.
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Wix

This is a very good price for these filters. Wix is one of the best filters available.

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                            All of the oil filters in the case of 12 arrived with o-rings from discountfleetsupply:-

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24933.html

Saturday, 03 Dec 2016
                            In Stock
                            Item #: WIX24933

List Price: $6.05
                            Our Price: $3.48
                            1981 XS1100H Venturer
                            K&N Air Filter
                            ACCT
                            Custom Paint by Deitz
                            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                            Stebel Nautilus Horn
                            EBC Front Rotors
                            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

O-rings

On more than one occasion, I have reused both filter o rings without any problems.
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                                On more than one occasion, I have reused both filter o rings without any problems.
                                Usually, that's the case. It sure sucks when it fails. It's certainly not a recommended practice in aviation.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X