WIX 24933 oil filters with o-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIX 24933 oil filters with o-rings

All of the oil filters in the case of 12 arrived with o-rings from discountfleetsupply:-

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24933.html

Saturday, 03 Dec 2016
    In Stock
    Item #: WIX24933

List Price: $6.05
    Our Price: $3.48
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Nice.

How does the big o-ring fit? I had some filters last summer came with an o-ring that seemed a bit big for the groove, which is a pain in the you-know-what trying to get it bolted up and not have it pop out. I gave up and used an old one.
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Yeah, sometimes a little more money, but Wix has ALWAYS been a good company that does things correctly in my book. Learned about them when I was a truck driver, and we used Wix filters in the 8V71 GMC engine in my Freightliner.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
        Nice.

How does the big o-ring fit? I had some filters last summer came with an o-ring that seemed a bit big for the groove, which is a pain in the you-know-what trying to get it bolted up and not have it pop out. I gave up and used an old one.
        Use petrolatum (Vaseline) to hold the o'ring in place while you install the cup.

Wix 24933 is a perfect fit, every time!
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Went to the SOFOCA and never looked back.

TC needs to start making them again.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I dunno, I just got 'em and I haven't used any filters yet!

The large o-ring does match up to an old one. WIX made the NAPA PS4933 filters that I've been using for several years and the o-rings always fit but they're out of stock now, possibly no longer available.

FWIW I spread a little dab of that cheap, general purpose wheel bearing grease on the o-ring to hold it in place. Even when the o-ring is the right size it'll pick up an odd shape from when it was in the box and try to lift out of the groove if it's not tacked down.
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Heh, Detroits like to use oil as fuel, then spray whatever they don't want all over the undercarriage and onto the asphalt to keep it primed, Ray, the stuff never stays in the sump long enough to need filtering. If it's not leaking oil it's empty!
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Actually.......... if a Detriot diesel is NOT leaking oil, motor has an issue.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

My detroit didn't leak much, but the HEADS crack if you look at them crosseyed! I DID end up doing an in-frame overhaul, replace one sleeve and piston.
                  And yes Scott, I use grease to hold the "O" ring in place as well..
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Rock Auto Too.

Also available from RockAuto (an XSSE '16 Award Contributor!). I've been buying bike filters from RockAuto for years.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearc...&partnum=24933

If you have the WIX part number all filter are available from Rock Auto. I get the #23934 for my Mini-Maxim XJ550. WIX has a great website:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/App...aspx?Section=6

I am not familiar with Discount Fleet supply but RockAuto also has NGK BP6ES plugs at the best prices I've seen. $1.46 ea. My local Yamaha dealers want more than $5 ea.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearc...&partnum=BP6ES
                    Kurt Boehringer
                    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Ray, the biggest problem I had with Detroits was the oil. I was lucky and never had to change out a cracked head, those engines just flat worked until it was time for another in-frame rebuild with rebuilt heads but it wasn't for lack of trying from some of the operators. To this day I still hate diesel and I especially hate the oil, the stuff gets everywhere and it doesn't come off. Eventually, everything in your life is coated and indelibly stained with a fine or not-so-fine patina of #2 diesel and stinky black 2-smoke crankcase oil.

Greg, I thought about a spin-on filter adapter but at the time it was, uh, "Just one more thing!" I may have to revisit the idea or just tap and remote one after I go through this batch of filters.

Kurt, I think all dealers have high markups on parts and for some bizarre reason everyone seems to expect it and put up with it. The price for the Yamaha o-rings and other parts has come down out of the stratosphere from where it was a few years ago but they're still outrageous. Discount Fleet's a decent online bulk distributor and Rock Auto's price is not too shabby for the filters or the spark plugs, either. I used Rock Auto when I rebuilt an old Ford Econoline van, they were the only ones with the parts and good prices.

I'm actually impressed looking at the WIX/NAPA filters. They're made in Poland so, ultimately, the low prices and the good quality today was only possible because of the history we all watched slowly unfold over the years, from Communist Poland's Lech Wałęsa and Solidarność to Gorbachev with glasnost and perestroika. What a long strange trip it's been.

WIX: Good filters; o-rings included.

Partzilla:
                      Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 1978 XS1100E OIL CLEANER Diagram

#2 ELEMENT, OIL CLEANER 1J7-13441-10-00 $8.99 $6.51
                      #3 O-RING 93211-19413-00 $8.73 $6.56
                      #4 O-RING 93210-16314-00 $2.56 $1.94

The diagram shows the filter and both o-rings are supposed to be in the service kit but if they're not then it's $11.29 or $8.50 for the two of them.

There are much better greases now than what's in the old can of tan, sticky and stringy GP grease but it's great for holding gaskets, o-rings, or small parts in place. Sometimes I even use it to (gasp!) grease something so I just can't throw it out.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                        There are much better greases now than what's in the old can of tan, sticky and stringy GP grease but it's great for holding gaskets, o-rings, or small parts in place. Sometimes I even use it to (gasp!) grease something so I just can't throw it out.
                        I have posted this before, but I can do it again for those of you struggling with the big o'ring.

Parker Super O-Lube is a silicone based lubricant intended to compliment Parker O-Lube in that it can be used with virtually any rubber polymer. Super O-Lube can also be used over a wider temperature range and in most cases will provide improved environmental protection to the elastomer.
                        It isn't cheap, but 2 oz will last you for years. It will stick that ring down for you and protect it from damage.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Thanks, Marty!

Here are a few other items I use that are at least slightly better than lithium GP bearing grease. They're not for everyone and they're definitely not cheap but they will also last for years.

The Krytox High Temp GPL 217 is supposed to have Moly in it so I'm using it for the final drive, shaft, and rear wheel hub splines. It is expensive and I haven't been using it long enough to say if it's better than Hondalube moly grease. My time is valuable and if I can skip a couple of those annoying and messy spline lube interludes without stripping a rear wheel hub in the middle of a snowstorm at 42,000 feet up in the mountains I'll consider it money well spent.

The Dow silicon grease goes under the rubber dust booties on the exposed ends of the brake caliper pistons to prevent corrosion and to keep water away from the piston seals and out of the brake fluid. It's not so good for the internal brake o-rings and master cylinder cups, Raybestos makes a great assembly fluid for that exact purpose, but it works fine for other o-rings and seals.

-- Scott
                          _____

Comment

I lay the oring on something flat for a day or so.
                            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
                              I lay the oring on something flat for a day or so.
                              What! Use time and physics? That is so totally cheating!

I suppose you smear a little bit of used motor oil on it too, the way it's been recommended practically since oil filters were invented. Man, some peoples' kids....
                              -- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Working...
                              X