Randy Rago's TCI Quick Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy Rago's TCI Quick Test

Anybody remember the procedure for Randy Rago's TCI quick test? It involves an analog multimeter, and you test the orange and grey lines, but I can't remember the exact procedure - as in where the probes go for the test. Unfortunately I can't find Randy's video on the web anywhere, and I'm hoping one of you fine XSives has a better memory than me.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Is this it?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34006
    XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
    650SF
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
    XS1100SG Project bike
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Nope. That thread talks about the TCI quick test, but doesn't mention the specifics of the procedure.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Found it! And I have to thank RR3 for the link. It didn't have the info, but it did have Randy's user ID. So I googled his ID and "tci quick test" and there it was. This is the procedure I was looking for -

Using a voltmeter set on 12VDC, connect the positive meter lead to the Orange or Grey coil lead at the TCI. Connect the negative meter lead to the black (negative) lead at the TCI. Turn on the ignition. Voltage should come right up to about 10 - 11VDC. Crank the ignition and observe the meter. Look for a wide voltage swing during cranking. A strong swing indicates that the pickups and TCI are working OK and your trouble is between the TCI and the plugs. Possibly a bad ballast resistor, bad coil, bad plug cap or just corroded connections. Repeat this test for both Orange and Grey coil leads.
        It doesn't say so specifically, but it seems to me like that test was supposed to be done with the spark plug wires disconnected. I also remember that the test only works with an analog multimeter.

Comment

It's using the negative sides of the coils and the analog meter the same as a half-fast tachometer. The test can be used on the pick-up coils too using the millivolt range instead of volts.

I suppose you could just use a tach but cheap analog meters are more useful and you don't cry as much if they go tango uniform in the toolbox.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
          X