Back to working on bike after 4 yr break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to working on bike after 4 yr break

Slow day in the shop today so I decided to start working on the bike. Got the dyna coils installed and ordered wires, plugs, and caps.

I also laid on the tank, seat, and side covers just to take a look.
    79 SF

Mac

pipes, I've the same exhaust on my LH/SH. Love the sound, quiet until you get on it then it roars.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Did you remember to remove the ballast resistor when you installed the dynas? You'll also want to gap your plugs at about .035" to accommodate the increased voltage.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I was unsure what kind of exhaust was on the bike, you think its a mac system?
        79 SF

Comment

Yes, thanks, I did remove the ballast resistor and did read on here about gapping the plugs a little wider.
          79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by 1strauss View Post
            I was unsure what kind of exhaust was on the bike, you think its a mac system?
            That's what it looks like. Factory exhaust has a crossover pipe that runs underneath the motor.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

My plugs, caps, and wires came in and I got them installed. I made up a temporary fuel tank, hooked up the battery and decided I better check spark before I put fuel in the carbs...Well, no spark on 2 and 3...1 and 4 look good with the new dyna coil! I believe the ignition unit is bad, here is what I have done.
              Swapped coils-same
              Swapped terminals at 4way plug at unit using jumpers I made to check the pick-up circuits-still no spark on 2-3.

I have eliminated the coils and pick up, checked orange and gray wires from unit to coils with ohm meter-good.

Anything I have missed?
              79 SF

Comment

Forgot to mention, I took the cover off of the ign. unit and checked solder joints, npf.
                79 SF

Comment

1/4 and 2/3 run off the same coil, so if you're dropping 2/3 it's most likely the pickup coil wires, or the coil itself. Are you running the original coils?

Comment

no DC1-1, resistor bypassed. swapped coils still no spark 2-3

swapped wiring at 4way connector at ignition unit, still no 2-3, that should eliminate coils and pick up
                    79 SF

Comment

Check your primary and secondary resistances at the coils, and see what you get.

Comment

1/4 coil. 3.1 ohms and 13.51 Kohms

2/3 coil 3.1 ohms and 13.53 kohms
                        79 SF

Comment

Did you do the resistance tests on the four prong connector at the TCI?

Comment

To test resistance of pick up coils, yes. Don't remember exactly what reading was but they were the same...I wanna say 780 ish
                            I'm not in the shop now so can't verify reading now but they were the same
                            79 SF

Comment

Did you do the voltage tests on your TCI?

Comment

Working...
                              X