Tire Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires

I am not a road racer, but my experience with Metzler Lazer Tec is they have great grip on wet roads and give me very good service. Sorry,

Steve Scott

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post

I agree. Give 10 different people the same tire and you will get 10 different results/opinions.
      Oh, I loved those Marathon's!!! Wish they still made them ifor the Standard. However, I believe my steering head bearings need to be replaced, so I think that may be contributing to my badhing of my current tires.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Oh, I loved those Marathon's!!! Wish they still made them ifor the Standard. However, I believe my steering head bearings need to be replaced, so I think that may be contributing to my badhing of my current tires.
        What size tires were the Marathons that you can no longer get?
        82 XJ1100 - sold
        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

I can't recall the XS Standard sizes, but I believe they're 19" front, and 17" rear.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The fronts tires are usually available, as it's a very common size. It's the 17" rear that's hard to get anymore. The new 17's are radial, and made for the newer bikes/rims. They also are wider than what will fit between the 35+ year old swing arm.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I found a user manual for the XS1100 E. It says the rear tire is a 4.5 - 17 and that the front tire is a 3.5 - 19.

This page has a conversion chart
              http://www.cb450stuff.com/tires/

It looks like various versions of 110, 120 and 130 can fit the rear of the E.

In the ME880 marathon tire, here are the available sizes

http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/prod...mensionen.html

None of the tires intended for the rear will fit. Some of the tires intended for the front seem to be able to fit the rear of the E. The downside looks like the loading factor of the tires intended for the front is lower than a tire intended for the rear.

I took a moto camping trip this summer. One of our group rode a BMW K100 circa early 1980s. I noticed that his rear tire reminded me of a modern day front tire. So, if you really like the ME880 tire, you may want to consider a tire intended for the front mounted to your rear rim. You would have to do the math for the load that the tire can withstand in light of the weight of your bike with you and your gear. Just a thought.
              82 XJ1100 - sold
              96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
              2000 ZRX1100 - sold
              2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Ehh, not a chance I'm willing to take. I'll try the Shinlos next round.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
                  I found a user manual for the XS1100 E. It says the rear tire is a 4.5 - 17 and that the front tire is a 3.5 - 19.

In the ME880 marathon tire, here are the available sizes

http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/prod...mensionen.html

None of the tires intended for the rear will fit. Some of the tires intended for the front seem to be able to fit the rear of the E. The downside looks like the loading factor of the tires intended for the front is lower than a tire intended for the rear.

I took a moto camping trip this summer. One of our group rode a BMW K100 circa early 1980s. I noticed that his rear tire reminded me of a modern day front tire. So, if you really like the ME880 tire, you may want to consider a tire intended for the front mounted to your rear rim. You would have to do the math for the load that the tire can withstand in light of the weight of your bike with you and your gear. Just a thought.
                  Hi Half Century,
                  DON"T put a front tire on the back.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    Hi Half Century,
                    DON"T put a front tire on the back.
                    Phil
                    Copy that.