• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My springs are progressive and are 2 yrs old with 15w fork oil
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
      Here are some of the gauge covers on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...overs&_sacat=0
      Those shields are for the specials. You need to do some modification to make them work on the standards. The actual standard covers are kind of molded to fit the little bump for the pilot box.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks Guys!

I can't believe all the helpful dialog in 1.5 day. I've been soaking it in along the way.

Noise

Jeff H: I did grease the splines and the circular gear on the FD....along with new bearings fresh fluid, and the whole 9 yards. Thanks for the pointers.

Since I have a Special, 5k RPM corresponds the MI speed limit of 70MPH.

Based on the overall remarks, the fairing is normally louder. I'll assume everything is normal, and get some second and third opinions at XSSE.

Reflections

Ray: Before I put he windscreen on the SF, I learned that it is advisable to look over the windshield. I read the primary reasons are rain and fogging concerns. I started out that way on the SF and had buffeting (as Nate experienced). The SF is now midway, where the buffeting is tolerable, but I have to sit straight up if I need to see over it.

I am using the Pacifico (or rebadged Vetter?) as it was intended. Knowing it might be advisable to have it shorter, I think I should be able to use it as it was intended. I like removing the faceshield from helmet and riding without buffeting. I may be singing a different tune the first time I see rain.

Based on the remarks, it seems the angle of my windshield is what makes my gauge reflections worse than others experience.

I was so surprised to see the cover Mike P mentioned and the actual part on dbbrian's bike. I might grab that $17 model on eBay if I can figure out how it might mount.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Cover

The cover mounts onto the rear of the gauges. I believe they use existing bolts/nuts. I can vouch for the Standards as I have not seen one on a Special.

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          I can't believe all the helpful dialog in 1.5 day. I've been soaking it in along the way.

Noise

Jeff H: I did grease the splines and the circular gear on the FD....along with new bearings fresh fluid, and the whole 9 yards. Thanks for the pointers.

Since I have a Special, 5k RPM corresponds the MI speed limit of 70MPH.

Based on the overall remarks, the fairing is normally louder. I'll assume everything is normal, and get some second and third opinions at XSSE.

Reflections

Ray: Before I put he windscreen on the SF, I learned that it is advisable to look over the windshield. I read the primary reasons are rain and fogging concerns. I started out that way on the SF and had buffeting (as Nate experienced). The SF is now midway, where the buffeting is tolerable, but I have to sit straight up if I need to see over it.

I am using the Pacifico (or rebadged Vetter?) as it was intended. Knowing it might be advisable to have it shorter, I think I should be able to use it as it was intended. I like removing the faceshield from helmet and riding without buffeting. I may be singing a different tune the first time I see rain.

Based on the remarks, it seems the angle of my windshield is what makes my gauge reflections worse than others experience.

I was so surprised to see the cover Mike P mentioned and the actual part on dbbrian's bike. I might grab that $17 model on eBay if I can figure out how it might mount.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Yup

I was able to zoom in on the instructions and see it utilizes the same studs that hold the gauges in the can...the instructions even explain how to dress the wiring pouch for a fairing installation.

So I bought one!
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Success!

Reflections

The gauge hood came last Wednesday as I was washing, packing, and fixing the motorhome for a 3 day weekend trip.

Now that I got the transmission fluid to stay in the motorhome, and the trip was enjoyed, I had a chance to install the gauge hood on the Bagger last night:

I dorve it last night and it TOTALLY fixes my problem. This bike is SO much safer at night. Many thanks to Mike Pittman for pointing me toward this easy solution that has a nice OEM appearance.

dB Level

I am beginning to think a lot of the noise level is the fairing itself vibrating and resonating. You can hear resonances as the engine passes through certain RPM.

I considered the possibility of acoustic standing waves, but the audible sound the dimensions of the wavelength at 5k (2.7") don't make any sense. Maybe the drive train could make noises at lower frequencies that could make standing waves. I just know the sound is LOUD at 70MPH.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Hi Mike.glad you got.that resolved..cover looks.great...as for dBs....you know ot.is.recommended that all riders wear hearing protection.....I dont need this as I am deaf when I ride....As i always say..." Life begins@ 90...decibels that is"
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                X