Pacifico Fairing - dB and Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacifico Fairing - dB and Reflections

I've been riding the Bagger every chance I get, shaking it down in various situations. Everything is reliable and works great. Louann even came for a ride for the first time in 15 or 20 years!

However, I have noticed two issues with the Pacifico fairing.

Loud

Most when I am on the highway and turning 5k RPM the engine noise is disturbingly loud. Even riding around side roads it is much louder than my SF with a windscreen.

I checked my exhaust and fixed a couple of very minor leaks, with no apparent improvement. I was beginning to think the sound level might normal. I recognize the fairing is a big dish reflecting a lot of sound back toward me. Is the increased dB normal with a fairing?

PS: I shook a lot of birdseed out of the exhaust before I installed it.....undoubtedly from mice. There is not supposed to be any packing in the stock Special exhaust, is there?

Reflections:

My line of sight falls about 4" below the top of the windshield when sitting normally. At nighttime, a blinding reflection of the illuminated gauges lands directly in this area, all across the windshield. I am reluctant to drive more than a few miles at night because it is so bad. There are no adjustments, so I guess the only thing I could do is cover the gauges if I ride at night?
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Hey Mike, nice bike. I love it.
    Couple comments:

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

However, I have noticed two issues with the Pacifico fairing.

Loud

Most when I am on the highway and turning 5k RPM the engine noise is disturbingly loud. Even riding around side roads it is much louder than my SF with a windscreen. Yep, you will get a tad bit more noise behind a fairing. I've got a Pacifico too. Without the lowers. Depends on what you are calling engine noises. As for the engine itself all i hear is the purring of the valve. A beautiful whirr. love it. What I don't like is when the Mid-Drive fluid needs changing it gets real noisy feedback. Irritating. Had some other nuisance noise and before the July 4k trip to Colorado I removed, cleaned & greased the FD (just as normal maintenance because it had been like 14,000 since I first got the bike and did the maintenance. Was SHOCKED that it appears that maybe some of that noise was the old thin grease on the drive to FD gear. I didn't change the Mid-FD gear lube until I returned so it wasn't that. Just caught me as odd it would be that loud but after the clean & grease all I could hear was the whirr of those valves.

I checked my exhaust and fixed a couple of very minor leaks, with no apparent improvement. I was beginning to think the sound level might normal. I recognize the fairing is a big dish reflecting a lot of sound back toward me. Is the increased dB normal with a fairing? Yes, exhaust noise feedback at 5,000 rpm is irritating. I can't stand it. I ride 4,500rpm which limits things to like what 75? i don't know but I can ride a 560 mile day and get off feeling great.

PS: I shook a lot of birdseed out of the exhaust before I installed it.....undoubtedly from mice. There is not supposed to be any packing in the stock Special exhaust, is there? I have a 78' E so need somebody special to answer this one. lol

Reflections:

My line of sight falls about 4" below the top of the windshield when sitting normally. At nighttime, a blinding reflection of the illuminated gauges lands directly in this area, all across the windshield. I am reluctant to drive more than a few miles at night because it is so bad. There are no adjustments, so I guess the only thing I could do is cover the gauges if I ride at night?

I ride at night ALL the time. See perfectly clearly. Even at night. No need to turn off odo lighting or tape it up. BikerPhil got me hooked up with Mr Gustafson in Ocala FL. $250 and he fixed me up and made me SAFE. I recommend it just for safety DAY or NIGHT these old screens are unsafe day or night. https://bikescreen.com/

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

As a note, you should have your line of sight OVER THE TOP OF THE SCREEN! Although your fairing says Pacifico, it's a re-branded Vetter, and as such has the Vetter problems. The Ventures had a shield that fit over the gauges to keep the reflections down. You could probably do the same with a bit of plastic painted flat black.
      Yes, fairing DO increase engine noise. You could put some 3/32" rubber belting on the mounts and have it "enclose" the bottom of the fairing. I did that and it cut down the noise and some of the warm air in the summer.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Gauge Reflection

Yamaha had already figured that out back in the day. They put a piece of plastic over top of the gauges to prevent this. I suspect that a lot of these disappeared over the years. If you can find one, you will eliminate the issue.
        Last edited by MPittma100; 08-31-2016, 09:47 AM.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I cut a piece of cardboard painted black to go on the top of the speedo/tach with a slot cut in it for the instrument lights. It wedges between them on the top side. Yeh it's redneck but no more glare.
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Question,
            So compared to my 78' E with Pacifico, Mike's instruments maybe bigger & brighter different angles etc. -or-
            is the re-branded windscreen different size or contours causing the reflection angles to change. Maybe both?

On the E at night I get no glare from instrument lights so that's why I'm curious to learn something new. Maybe the bigger round Special instrument cluster if that's what he has. I don't ride a Special so info me.

thanks,
            Jeff
            Last edited by JeffH; 08-31-2016, 11:36 AM.
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

The E has a true Pacifico, and almost no reflection issues. The "new" Pacifico is a re-branded Vetter, with a different windshield angle that causes reflections, IMHO.
              I think he has two problems, #1 being the windshield is too tall for him, as he should be looking OVER the shield, NOT through it. #2 is it's a Vetter, a barn door on the front of the bike.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

I have the actual '78 Pacifico, I do have the reflection of the gauges shining on my windshield, I did happen to get one of the gauge cluster shields though (it is for a special though so it doesn't look as good as it could). I am afraid that if I do cut the shield down so that I look over the top as I should be my head will be getting a whole bunch of wind buffeting. When riding if I put my hand on my head it is getting hit with the wind
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have the little shield over the gauges, and Pacifico. I thought it was more about reducing glare onto the gauge face, learned another thing!

Don't quite see over the top unless I straighten my back right up. Don't notice glare, but have become more aware its not nice and clear like Jeff's. Getting a bit cloudy.

The noise was troublesome for me at first because the fairing does seem to focus the noises right up at you, and had me wondering all the time if those were "normal" noises. So much so that I think people are getting tired of me asking them if my valves sound OK - lol. Now I enjoys it purr on a highway run.

A 4 hour cruise has my ears ringing, but I do have that going on normally anyway. Just makes it worse.

Its not exactly a quiet bike, especially when you crank it, but I love it loud, and just maybe that explains the first two initials of my handle
                  '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                  '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                  '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Shield

That Same shield came with the Vetter version as well. They are pretty rare these days. I believe most everyone took them off some reason.

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
                    I have the little shield over the gauges, and Pacifico. I thought it was more about reducing glare onto the gauge face, learned another thing!

Don't quite see over the top unless I straighten my back right up. Don't notice glare, but have become more aware its not nice and clear like Jeff's. Getting a bit cloudy.

The noise was troublesome for me at first because the fairing does seem to focus the noises right up at you, and had me wondering all the time if those were "normal" noises. So much so that I think people are getting tired of me asking them if my valves sound OK - lol. Now I enjoys it purr on a highway run.

A 4 hour cruise has my ears ringing, but I do have that going on normally anyway. Just makes it worse.

Its not exactly a quiet bike, especially when you crank it, but I love it loud, and just maybe that explains the first two initials of my handle
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

For the noise, the Fairing I have actually came with a kit of plastic and a snap together simulated leather that went around the forks and up to the fairing to eliminate noise. However it did not fit all that well and needed a lot of tweaking or it made its own noise and it tended to be really hard to line it up so it did not drag or bind when turning. I lost track of it when I had the bike apart for years but have at times seen some pieces on Ebay.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

As an owner that bought my first XS1100 in 1977, I KNOW the shield was NOT offered then! I bought mine with every option EXCEPT the Yamaha rear box. I chose to go with the HD box, painted to match because of the size and looks.
                        I am 99% sure the shields didn't make an appearance until the Vetter fairings. The windshield on the Vetter is about 80 degree, and the Pacifico is about 65-70. I think it's the angle that caused the need for the shield on the Vetter.
                        As for the noise, any bike with a fairing is noisier than the same bike without, unless there is something to keep engine noises from reflecting up off the plastics.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Gauge Reflection

Here are some of the gauge covers on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...overs&_sacat=0
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Even though I am deaf when i ride i thought i noticed the engine to be a little louder...not sure if it was my imagination or what...One thing thats not imagined is the redirected airflow that now dumps all the engine heat on my legs and routes heat to my upper body as well..not exactly a good thing down here in NC...but I suspect it will feel nice when the temps get alot colder...cant wait for that...
                            The other issue I am now having is that the front suspension doesnt seem to be up to speed with the fairing and all...anything up to 70mph is fine ...but beyond that and i get the front suspension vibrations and my LD riding is affected because the ride is too "choppy"..not sure what the solution is or how to even go about evaluating the problem...
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yamaha put in different springs when you installed a fairing. I suspect your problem is the need for a heavy duty spring, or just one that isn't 30+ years old.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                              X