Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock

So I was painting my gas tank on my xs1100 and changing out the old fuel lines when I realized something and I was hoping someone could help me to make sure it's right. So I noticed on the left petcock that the copper parts of it where the gasoline comes out has two but the right side only has 1 where fuel comes out and the other is like a plug. I'll attach pictures so you can see what I'm talking about and I'm wondering why it's like that or if it's suppose to be something else.
    Last edited by MichaelisEvolving; 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM.
    79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

http://m.imgur.com/a/H6ICc
    79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

There are supposed to be 2 nipples on the petcocks. I am.guessing one of the nipples was loose or came out so someone sealed it off rather than fixing it.

Not 100% sure on this but I believe on the special petcocks the front nipple is prime and the rear is on/prime.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        ... Not 100% sure on this but I believe on the special petcocks the front nipple is prime and the rear is on/prime.
        On Special petcocks the front nipple is PRIME and the rear nipple is ON/RESERVE.
        Marco

Current bikes:
        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
        1979 Honda CBX
        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
          On Special petcocks the front nipple is PRIME and the rear nipple is ON/RESERVE.
          Yup, that's what I meant, why would there be 2 prime nipples.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well I've been trying my hardest to find new petcocks I could put on my tank but I can't seem to find xs1100 special ones. I don't want to buy other ones that won't fit or aren't right. I have seen some for 650 but if anyone knows of any alternatives please let me know.

Comment

Petcock Alternatives

Originally posted by MichaelisEvolving View Post
              Well I've been trying my hardest to find new petcocks I could put on my tank but I can't seem to find xs1100 special ones. I don't want to buy other ones that won't fit or aren't right. I have seen some for 650 but if anyone knows of any alternatives please let me know.
              One of my bikes has the Pingle petcocks on it. They are single line, On-Reserve-Off. They work well and are simple. They require an adapter, available also from Pingle, to fit the Yamaha tank. They are nice, but not cheap. Kits and Yamaha petcocks are available on eBay. Follow this link to see the Pingle valves:

http://www.pingelonline.com/Fuel-Valves/designer.asp
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hey Michael,

Here's a thread Mack posted a few weeks ago about a generic petcock that can be fitted to our tanks with a little modification and an adapter plate. His example is a Standard, but all you have to do is get the petcock that fits the special screw spacing of 34mm.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44820

The petcock he found was still a bit $$ at $40.00. I found some decent single output types with Run/Stop/Reserve in the 3/8" NPT fitting style for under $20.00 on eBay with free S&H. You can get an adapter plate from Partsnmore.com for this type for about $8.00 +S&H, and even a petcock, but they are closer to the $40.00 price Mack showed.

Petcock/adapter plate? 34 mm C2C $8.50 #20-0101

Universal 3/8" NPT petcock # 20-0100 $30.00.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It is possible to run just one tap on the left side and block off plate on the right side of the tank. Just put a T in the line feeding the 2 carb inlets. I run both my bikes this way, no ill effects.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I have some, give me a pm

might have two petcocks. You will need a left and a right.
                    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                    85 Honda v65 Magna
                    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                    02 Road King (retirement gift)
                    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! I'm gonna look at some and I'll post them on here and you guys can maybe look at them and see if they work? That way I don't buy some that end up not working out. Especially at $40 a pop.

Comment

I was looking at these and hoping they would either fit or wouldn't require too much adjusting to make it work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/191665755498

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201409554416
                        Last edited by MichaelisEvolving; 07-23-2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Also if anyone had a website to order the plates I'll most likely need from, I'd greatly appreciate it
                          Last edited by MichaelisEvolving; 07-23-2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Hey Michael,

If your bike has a Special Tank, those petcocks won't work, they have the wrong mounting hole spacing of 43mm vs. the Special's 34 mm.

And in my post #8 I mentioned the website for the adapter plates, but left off the WWW. so it didn't show as an active link: www.partsnmore.com

Remember, these are adapter plates for the Universal 3/8" NPT type fitting. Search for that with petcock, and you should find plenty.

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

This is perfect! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X