The Deconstruction of Columbo, The Ate Up '80G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XS McEleven: Parts Is Parts (fused!)

XS1100 Parts (click image for larger/full-size image)

It's in the bag!

It's out of the bag!

Bagged parts packing list:

Four brand new carburetor slides and diaphragms along with a set of triple-lip front fork seals:

Boxed parts packing list:

As you can see, I've got a little list.... (5:16)

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Nice Scott!........hope attending the CanonCity rally boosted your incentive in order to get Columbo back up and runnin' again!.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Nice Scott!........hope attending the CanonCity rally boosted your incentive in order to get Columbo back up and runnin' again!.
        That it did, Brant, that it did!

-- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Well that looks like it cost a small fortune!
          82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
          Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
            Well that looks like it cost a small fortune!
            .......cost is irrelavent if one wants to do one of these ole' 11's.......correctly.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It did cost a small fortune, Protech, and you know I'm doing it correctly, Brant, but, we-e-el-l-ll, I ran out of good used parts from my parts bikes and parts piles and it was not possible to nurse the old parts any further or I certainly would have done it!

The fork seals, slides and needle valves were necessary and were hideously expensive but they should last another thirty-five years or in other words until long after I'm dead and don't care one way or the other!

-- Scott
              _____

Comment

♫ I'd rather ride a Valkyrie than hear Brunhilde sing ♫

Scott, it's really great to have you back on the forum and posting regularly.

I, for one, have missed your wit ...

Look forward to your progress/updates on Columbo!
                Last edited by Prisoner6; 07-25-2016, 01:48 AM.
                Marco

Current bikes:
                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                1979 Honda CBX
                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Thanks, Marco!

I'm doing the harness right now but I don't have any pictures yet, it's still in the layout and "what if" stage.

-- Scott
                  _____

Comment

I've learned a lot just from the first few posts. Soaking the harness in mineral spirits.. I wish I even had a thought about more than superficially cleaning a replacement harness for my XJ when I repaired and re-wrapped it. I'm excited to see how this turns out.
                    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                    Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
                      I've learned a lot just from the first few posts. Soaking the harness in mineral spirits.. I wish I even had a thought about more than superficially cleaning a replacement harness for my XJ when I repaired and re-wrapped it. I'm excited to see how this turns out.
                      I ordered 4' of 16mm / 5/8" harness tubing to replace the two 2' sections of hard-as-nails O.E.M. harness sleeves that run into the headlight shell:

www.cycleterminal.com/sleeve-tubing.html
                      High Temp Wiring Harness Tubing
                      Soft, Flexible, High temp Protection - PVC 105C VW-1

I started to order new connectors and terminals too but when I refreshed the page after ordering the sleeves an overlay appeared at the top of the page that informed me the site owner is on vacation until August 1.

I'll wait and see what happens. The harness is laid out but I can't really rebuild it without the new sleeves, connectors and terminals. I suppose I could find better connectors and terminals instead of trying to rebuild the originals but Geezer at Oregon Motorcycle Parts dot com may have some of the connectors and I may buy a regulator/rectifier while I'm there.

-- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                        I ordered 4' of 16mm / 5/8" harness tubing to replace the two 2' sections of hard-as-nails O.E.M. harness sleeves that run into the headlight shell:

www.cycleterminal.com/sleeve-tubing.html
                        High Temp Wiring Harness Tubing
                        Soft, Flexible, High temp Protection - PVC 105C VW-1

I started to order new connectors and terminals too but when I refreshed the page after ordering the sleeves an overlay appeared at the top of the page that informed me the site owner is on vacation until August 1.

I'll wait and see what happens. The harness is laid out but I can't really rebuild it without the new sleeves, connectors and terminals. I suppose I could find better connectors and terminals instead of trying to rebuild the originals but Geezer at Oregon Motorcycle Parts dot com may have some of the connectors and I may buy a regulator/rectifier while I'm there.

Darn.......well, just have enough iced tea ta' last ya' till site owner gets back.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Darn.......well, just have enough iced tea ta' last ya' till site owner gets back.
                          Funny you should mention ice. The ice dispenser in the 'fridge smoked and died on Monday. The new controller board just got here from the Appliance Parts Pros and five minute later we have ice again.

-- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                            Funny you should mention ice. The ice dispenser in the 'fridge smoked and died on Monday. The new controller board just got here from the Appliance Parts Pros and five minute later we have ice again.

well.......least timing for ice was good.

Comment

Working...
                            X