Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter

I am going to be installing a Kickstarter in my 81 xs1100 and I need to know where I can find a kick start oil seal that will fit....any suggestions?
    81 SH

Partzilla Has it new....

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...TER/parts.html

OIL SEAL
    93102-20108-00
    $4.39

All the side covers are the same. The seal above is for a '78. Will fit any of the side covers.

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Thank you!
      81 SH

Comment

Originally posted by Sup3rman86 View Post
        I am going to be installing a Kickstarter in my 81 xs1100 and I need to know where I can find a kick start oil seal that will fit....any suggestions?
        Hey there,

Have you done the research on what's involved in adding the kickstarter? There are major pieces missing in the starting driveline that you'll need to acquire other than just the main shaft. Plus, I've heard/read that you have to split the cases to gain access to the other parts behind the case!

Finally Yamaha did away with the kickstarter in the later years because it was mostly unnecessary. The ignition system is voltage dependent, and when the battery gets weak, the ignition won't fire the plugs even though it may have enough juice to crank the engine, it won't spark, so no start. Granted a few folks have reported being able to kick start their bike when their battery was too low to start electrically, but if the battery runs down just below ~10.5 volts, then even with the kickstarter, you won't be able to start it!?

Okay, good luck! T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

More than just a kicker shaft & spring....

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          SNIP.... Plus, I've heard/read that you have to split the cases to gain access to the other parts behind the case! SNIP....
          Actually, that's not the case (LOL). All the necessary parts can be added from the side cover or oil pan without splitting the cases. Done it!

The '81 will be a little harder to add the kicker to than the '80 would be. I've pulled apart AT LEAST five '80 motors and they all had a FEW of the necessary pieces. I've read that those few pieces that were left in there in '80 were not in ANY of the '81s. I do not know that for certain... only what I've read.

I have added a kick starter to TWO of my XS11's so I have been there and done that. I'll probably never use them....but they do look cool.

You can use the Partzilla parts page link I provided for the oil seal to make sure you have everything needed. There are MANY folks that buy the kicker shaft & spring assy. on Evil-Bay and THINK that's all they need to add this assy. There is AT LEAST another dozen pieces needed!

Additionally, the shaft on the stock kicker assy. is not designed for a standard hinged kicker (i.e. XS750 or 850). There is no machined groove for the clamp bolt. It is not too hard to modify an XS750/850 kicker to work but if you have an aftermarket exhaust it might not swing out far enough to clear it.

There are a BUNCH of things necessary to install the kicker....be prepared!

KURT
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max