No announcement yet.

Bringing her back to life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If using the same plug produces spark from all the boots/wires I will move on to see if the other plugs are good. I would be ecstatic if it is just a spark plug issue. I will replace them regardless if I can figure out the issue and it is something else.
    79 SF
    79 GL1000

Comment

Hey again,

Okay, 1.8 is a little high for the Primary wires which are the connectors for the R/W and either the grey/orange ones. The Secondary are the 2 hi tension plug wires...you stick the meter probes into each end....doesn't matter which one gets which polarity, and then you should see the ~15Kohms without the plug caps on.

Using the same plug for each cylinder will be okay, but remember you have to either have a plug stuck into each plug wire/cap and making contact with the head for the pulse to travel the whole circuit for that particular coil. And you'll need good plugs that are not fouled as well to be able to make a complete circuit for testing.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you for the info. That will keep me from freaking out if there is no spark and it is just a plug issue. I will double check the secondary side tonight and hope that I can get the reading. The rest will have to wait for the weekend if I can escape working OT. I was at the end of my rope earlier just thinking about that and am praying that I can have this weekend to work on the bike.
        If I don't get the 15k Ohms and the coils are the culprit I may go for the green 3 ohm dyna coils. From what I read at that point you can ditch the resistor so there is one less thing to go wrong.
        79 SF
        79 GL1000

Comment

Ignition coil for 1 and 4 are bad and the boot for 4 is bad as well. The coil would read for 1/2 a second and jump all over the place when I pulled the meter off and but it back on.
          So plugs, plug wires, plug wire boots, and ignition coils. Sound like just under 200 bucks???
          I think the bike is great and I will go over my budget for sure. I am at about $600 right now (with original purchase) and my goal is under 1000. I had the same goal on my GL1000 and spent $1300 overall. (It still has a slight delay and jolts into gear every once in a while so she's not perfect yet.)
          For the Yamaha I still need a battery, rear tire, fork oil and fork seals, handlebar grips, and I am sure something else. Plus checking valve lash, and then some fabrication to clean up the hacking by the PO.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. It feels a lot better to have a direction to go in!
          79 SF
          79 GL1000

Comment

Hey Tarzan,

Hold on....you said your #1 plug was working fairly well, and that's 1 of the 2 plugs that coil feeds...1 and 4, and 4 was wet/oil/fuel fouled?? That coil could still be bad....but not totally dead, so that it would have enough power to fire the #1 plug, but not enough to make it thru the engine to the other plug. Just wanted to make sure you had good clean copper on the plug wire ends when you put the meter test leads into them.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X