No announcement yet.

Torque wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put mine to use tonight - those things are great! Drain bolt and filter bolt done up nicely.

This one has a range of 10 - 150 ft lbs - lower starting point than the more expensive Stanley one I saw at Canadian Tire The markings were a bit tiny, and a challenge for my old eyes without glasses, I shone the light on it and it worked out fine.

Thanks for the tip. I saw plenty of other goodies in that store for very reasonable prices. I think it must the Canadian version of Harbour Frieght
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Incorrect........ correct torque is not 'bolt stretch' but thread seating.
      There is such a thing as "torque tensioning" bolts. Typically those bolts have an unthreaded "free length". Yes, those types do "stretch" elastically unless you over-torque them to the "plastic deformation" range. The tension provides resistance by friction with both the thread contact along the threaded portion of the bolt and with the "seat" of the bolt head.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
        By that, do you simply mean to back it's setting way down before putting away? Or is there something else to do as well.
        Yes. And keep it clean. Don't store it on the garage floor.

Keep in mind that torque values are for clean, dry threads, unless otherwise specified. At least, that's how it is in my business. My Moto Guzzi service manual specifies lube torque. Lubricated threads will add stretch to the fastener (bolt).
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Working...
        X