Torque wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque wrench

I couldn't find a new thread button under tools...

In the past I have done all my wrenching without a torque wrench.

I want to follow the specs on this bike.

Is this adequate for use on the XS?

http://prntscr.com/baqnz3
    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

What's it's range? You need to be sure what you get covers the torque range you will be using it in.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

good point.

FEATURES

Stanley FatMax 3/8-in Drive Torque Wrench offers a 20-250 in-lbs torque setting
      Perfect for use on lawnmowers, bikes and engine parts
      The go-to-tool when precise torque is needed
      Features an ergonomic rubberized handle
      Audible and Mechanical torque indicators

Comment

Although an inch # torque wrench is nice for the smaller bolts, you will still need a foot # wrench for most bolts on our bikes.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks. I went and checked them out, took out of package - now I see.

The ft / lb one is really long. I also looked at the oil drain bolt torque - 31 ft /lbs. so looks like I need that long one for job 1.

Comment

Axle bolts are like 51 ft lbs, among others. I know the professional mechanics may roll their eyes, but I've had good luck with Harbor Freight torque wrenches at @ 10-20 bucks a piece depending on the sale. They get me closer in the ballpark than my non-calibrated "Gootentight" wrist does.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Brian,
              Princess Auto has a 1/2 drive torque Wrench on sale this week.I think $20
              It will be fine for the higher torque requirements. Then watch their flyer for an Inch pound wrench ( I bet within 6 weeks )

i suggest you change all the fluids...then you will know when it was last done. Depending on brand the o rings come with the filter.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks for the tip Phil. I'll pick one up for sure.

and yes, I'll be changing the oil.

Comment

I rely on a 3/8" Harbor Freight torque wrench primarily and it works fine for me, YMMV. For the higher torque for the axles, etc, I use a 1/2" Craftsman beam torque wrench.

The HF torque wrenches are currently advertised at $21.99, but look around for coupons. Their ad in the latest July Motorcyclist magazine I get has a coupon for $11.99 for the same torque wrench, for example.

Edit: Nevermind, you're in Canada.
                  82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                  Website/Blog

Comment

I have had adequate service from HF wrenches but for the 6mm cap screws that hold on a lot of things like valve cover, these are torqued to only 7.5 #/Ft. Have not had much trust in the HF wrenches for tightening these. I currently have a Craftsman in/# wrench and there is a distinct difference.

Having said all that, a long time ago a well known drag racer told me it is sometimes not so much how tight you put a pattern of bolts but it is how evenly you tighten them to the pattern. If you are a bit off but still get good bolt stretch then the bolt should hold. So a cheaper wrench is better than none at all.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
                      I have had adequate service from HF wrenches but for the 6mm cap screws that hold on a lot of things like valve cover, these are torqued to only 7.5 #/Ft. Have not had much trust in the HF wrenches for tightening these. I currently have a Craftsman in/# wrench and there is a distinct difference.

Having said all that, a long time ago a well known drag racer told me it is sometimes not so much how tight you put a pattern of bolts but it is how evenly you tighten them to the pattern. If you are a bit off but still get good bolt stretch then the bolt should hold. So a cheaper wrench is better than none at all.
                      Incorrect........ correct torque is not 'bolt stretch' but thread seating.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Incorrect........ correct torque is not 'bolt stretch' but thread seating.
                        OK, we will go with that.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Got the Princess Auto one.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Buy several of them in different torque ranges. I tested some of the cheap ones. All were dead on accurate in the middle of the scale. Take care of them and they stay that way.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              Take care of them and they stay that way.
                              By that, do you simply mean to back it's setting way down before putting away? Or is there something else to do as well.
                              80 SG
                              81 SH in parts
                              99 ST1100
                              91 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X