Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder 3 wont fire... at a complete loss

First off, hello all!

So I recently ran across a pretty cheap 1979 xs1100f on Craigslist. Ive never owned a bike before, but my dad has owned many and agreed to help out where he can. After some evaluation, the bike seems to need some basic maintenance. Its beem garaged it's whole life, but hasnt run in a few years.

What I did:
    Fixed some screw ups in the wiring by the previous owner (he removed the cutoff switch, but grounded the wires to the bars)
    Quick clean of the carbs (removed, dropped the bowls, removed jets and soakes in cleaner)
    New fluids and filters
    Inline fuel filters (petcock ones were shot)
    Petcock rebuild
    Replaced p/o coil wires
    Check all coils and caps (in spec)
    Checked spark on all cylinders (great)
    New battery
    New starter solinoid
    New fused/cleaned fuse box
    Drained, cleaned, and treated gas tank

After all of this, my 3 cylinder is cold. Im getting good spark. The plug isn't wet when pulled. All the jets are clear and cleaned. The floats are moving properly along with the pin. The bowl fills properly with gas but doesn't over fill. It doesnt seem to be flooding, but i have a hard time believing that its not getting fuel... my last thought is that it may be a pinhole in my diaphragm, but im going to check that tomorrow morning. Any insite into what could be causing this is helpful.

Thanks, Seth

P.s. if this is in the wrong section, please gut me accordingly
    1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
    First off, hello all!

So I recently ran across a pretty cheap 1979 xs1100f on Craigslist. Ive never owned a bike before, but my dad has owned many and agreed to help out where he can. After some evaluation, the bike seems to need some basic maintenance. Its beem garaged it's whole life, but hasnt run in a few years.

What I did:
    Fixed some screw ups in the wiring by the previous owner (he removed the cutoff switch, but grounded the wires to the bars)
    Quick clean of the carbs (removed, dropped the bowls, removed jets and soakes in cleaner)
    New fluids and filters
    Petcock rebuild
    Replaced p/o coil wires
    New battery
    New starter solinoid

After all of this, my 3 cylinder is cold. Im getting good spark. The plug isn't wet when pulled. All the jets are clear and cleaned. The floats are moving properly along with the pin. The bowl fills properly with gas but doesn't over fill. It doesnt seem to be flooding, but i have a hard time believing that its not getting fuel... my last thought is that it may be a pinhole in my diaphragm, but im going to check that tomorrow morning. Any insite into what could be causing this is helpful.

Thanks, Seth

Welcome Seth, sounds like the starter jet circut or pilot fuel jet circut may be clogged.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Seth, i helped a fellow xsive with a very similar problem. He had no combustion in #3 either. Turned out the carb body had an issue and it wouldn't suck any fuel up from the bowl. He put a new carb in there and viola. It worked.

He bench tested his carb rack with water for a fuel source and used a shop vac to simulate the piston sucking action and #3 failed miserably while the other 3 performed great at sucking water from the bowl.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Sethhope, My guess would be the #3 fuel pick-up circuit in bottom of fuel bowl is plugged. Try removing #3 fuel bowl and blowing carb cleaner thru it checking that it is clear and open.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The "Spray Test" for a fuel bowl enrichment circuit. You may have to click "replay" to see the 3-second video.

Make sure your eyes are covered and that you point it away from yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yBwrcqwArA
          82 XJ1100 - sold
          96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
          2000 ZRX1100 - sold
          2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

compression

Seth just to rule it out did you do a compression test on all cylinders.
            I am local to you if you need help let me know. I can take a ride up and give you a hand. Lots of little tricks to the carbs to get them clean. I would be glad to point you in the right direction
            82 XJ1100J
            81 Venturer
            Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
              Seth just to rule it out did you do a compression test on all cylinders.
              I am local to you if you need help let me know. I can take a ride up and give you a hand. Lots of little tricks to the carbs to get them clean. I would be glad to point you in the right direction
              I did do a compression check and it read 120 on the nose. As for the help, i really appreciate the offer, but im a bit further out than my profile says. I dodnt get to changing that last night. Im actually closer to philly pa...
              1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

For sure, rule out major blockages of the main jets and pilot circuits like you said you did, but check if the needle is letting fuel past once the carbs are on the bike. Maybe the float is getting hung up (on a float bowl gasket is one place, make sure the edges are trimmed so none stick out) and keeping the needle from opening and letting more fuel in once on the bike. Just a thought, let us know what you find.

A pinhole in the diaphragm wouldn't keep fuel from flowing with the pilot circuit, so I don't think your issue lies there, but it's good to look if you have any pinholes. Liquid plasti-dip or liquid electrical tape works well to touch up those holes if you find any.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  For sure, rule out major blockages of the main jets and pilot circuits like you said you did, but check if the needle is letting fuel past once the carbs are on the bike. Maybe the float is getting hung up (on a float bowl gasket is one place, make sure the edges are trimmed so none stick out) and keeping the needle from opening and letting more fuel in once on the bike. Just a thought, let us know what you find.

A pinhole in the diaphragm wouldn't keep fuel from flowing with the pilot circuit, so I don't think your issue lies there, but it's good to look if you have any pinholes. Liquid plasti-dip or liquid electrical tape works well to touch up those holes if you find any.

Fuel is getting into the bowl, and it doesn't seem that the float is sticking. I checked the gasket and its all nice and trimmed flush. Maybe the float height is off...? Though it seems (visually) equal to the others...

Comment

Just to verify, the carbs start dry and when you put them on the bike, the bowl fills like you are describing? Is the float filled with gas? if so, could be sinking and allowing fuel to fill the bowl, then raising back up in a full bowl and cutting off the flow. You have the brass floats, correct? I don't know if that makes sense, but I am just putting ideas out there.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      Just to verify, the carbs start dry and when you put them on the bike, the bowl fills like you are describing? Is the float filled with gas? if so, could be sinking and allowing fuel to fill the bowl, then raising back up in a full bowl and cutting off the flow. You have the brass floats, correct? I don't know if that makes sense, but I am just putting ideas out there.
                      How would i check if they are filling? I didnt see or feel gas in them when I took the bowls off, but could they have drained in the time disassembly took?

Comment

First off, hello all!

What I did:
                        New fluids and filters
                        Petcock rebuild
                        Replaced p/o coil wires
                        New battery
                        New starter solinoid

Thanks, Seth

You mentioned above the bowls fill properly, so I gathered you were testing that. Am I min-understanding what you are saying? Sorry if I am.

If the float was leaking and letting gas in, it would be obvious if you took the float off and shook it around. Slosh, Slosh.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

How would i check if they are filling? I didnt see or feel gas in them when I took the bowls off, but could they have drained in the time disassembly took?
                          Barring Xray vision, you probably have to remove the bowl, place it on your bench, fill it with fuel and see if the float floats.

While you have the bowl off, do the spray test as per the video.

When I did my XJ650 carbs, the enrichment circuits were completely clogged. You cannot see the clog since the circuit is a minuscule width passage. I boiled my bowls in lemon juice, removed one bowl at a time and did the spray test to clear the circuit while the bowl was hot and the clog was softened.
                          82 XJ1100 - sold
                          96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                          2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                          2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Good idea on boiling to soften up any gunk!
                            Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Update. I soaked the carbs again. This time a full disassembly. The floats float and the pin isnt getting stuck. The diaphragm is beautiful as well as pretty much the whole carb assembly. I pulled the jets and sprayed them out with cleaner and compressed air. Put everything together and still nothing on 3... im at a complete loss... it pops and sputters, but never heats up. Good spark, clean carbs... pardon my frustration but WHAT'S GOING ON HERE???

Comment

Working...
                              X