No announcement yet.

Headlight upgrade(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we're talking about the linked amazon page, I think I see the same light repeated in various entries.

As far as diffusion/focusing/directional goes, Am I correct in thinking the 5x7 light contains the parabolic-ish shape and proper lense to condition LED light for headlamp use?
    "Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.

Comment

You have to remember though that the LED headlamp is designed to be used with a car/pickup, etc. You can't see right in front of you or to the sides in those vehicles because the vehicle blocks your view. Those LED lights are designed with that thought in mind as well as the fact that there is usully 2 of them. In a motorcycle you can see all that area that you can't see in a car. That is where the flaw is. Does that flaw outweigh the positives of the LED headlight, I don't think so. I still would love to have one, you just might want to put some driving lights for low down and to the side as a supplement to really put it over the top.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate summed it up perfectly. Also, it's not a drop-in to the headlight bucket. You have to do some modifications. TheRev posted a "how to" in his thread "Bike for $1"
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Thanks guys, for that. I knew an indivistual LED wasnt going to help me, but I'd forgotten, or not been attuned to the auto v bike differences in needs of the lamp assembly.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.

Comment

Has the truck headlight bucket fitting been tested on the Venturer fairing?

Oh, and did The Rev ever post how much the one dollar bike cost?

Comment

The TruckLite headlight will drop into wherever the OEM headlight was. No mods needed. Unlike the HID setup, it has a shallow frame, and does not fill up or go past the back of the headlight bucket. The plug on the end is identical to the OEM plug too. I have one in my Windjammer, and could not be more pleased with it. The lack of light close to the bike is not noticeable at all with a fairing, since you can't see that close anyway. Besides, if you're moving any more than 5mph, that small dark space is beyond the point of no return anyway.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Wow that's good news! Provided the dreaded PO did not modify the mounting when he adapted this fairing to my '80.

Ooops forgot the bikes were identical, and that's why the 1981 Venturer fairing fits the 1980 1100G.

How back to those %^&$ seat bolts
                Last edited by puskrat; 05-11-2016, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  The TruckLite headlight will drop into wherever the OEM headlight was. No mods needed. Unlike the HID setup, it has a shallow frame, and does not fill up or go past the back of the headlight bucket. The plug on the end is identical to the OEM plug too. I have one in my Windjammer, and could not be more pleased with it. The lack of light close to the bike is not noticeable at all with a fairing, since you can't see that close anyway. Besides, if you're moving any more than 5mph, that small dark space is beyond the point of no return anyway.
                  Notice his bike 'bug. It's a Venturer= rectangle headlight. NOT a drop-in replacement.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    Notice his bike 'bug. It's a Venturer= rectangle headlight. NOT a drop-in replacement.
                    Which is why I mentioned the OEM headlight. Of course, the round headlight fits the round headlight bucket. Not sure if there is an LED rectangular bulb out there...
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      Which is why I mentioned the OEM headlight. Of course, the round headlight fits the round headlight bucket. Not sure if there is an LED rectangular bulb out there...
                      Huh? There is a rectangular Truck-Lite headlight (see my signature). But, the Standard and Special headlight buckets are two different animals.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                        Huh? There is a rectangular Truck-Lite headlight (see my signature). But, the Standard and Special headlight buckets are two different animals.
                        The buckets and bulbs are a matching set. The round bulbs match the round bucket, and the rectangle bulbs match the rectangle buckets. While I don't have personal experience with the rectangle bulbs/buckets, I can't see any reason why there would be any problem swapping the OEM rectangle bulb for a Truck-Lite rectangle bulb. It should just clamp in the same way as the OEM one, right?
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey Bug,

For some reason I remember reading about Crazy Steve's tech tip he made about being able to MOD the rectangular headlight bucket to accept an automotive reflector housing. There's something off with the AUTO rectangular headlight bulbs that don't exactly fit into the rectangular light housing of the standards. This is why a mod of the standards bucket is required before being able to put a automotive type bulb/reflector in one. See the tech tips/mods for details.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                            Hey Bug,

For some reason I remember reading about Crazy Steve's tech tip he made about being able to MOD the rectangular headlight bucket to accept an automotive reflector housing. There's something off with the AUTO rectangular headlight bulbs that don't exactly fit into the rectangular light housing of the standards. This is why a mod of the standards bucket is required before being able to put a automotive type bulb/reflector in one. See the tech tips/mods for details.

T.C.
                            Yes, you have to basically rework a headlight bucket from a different vehicle (I used one from a mid '80's Chevy S-10) and make it connect up to the chrome ring for the headlight. It takes some time, measuring, and effort but it is worth it. You are able to use ANY off the shelf 5x7 headlighy with an h4 plug.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here is the link to the how to.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33251
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Again, see "TheRev" 's thread on how to modify the headlight bracket to accomodate the LED headlight.
                                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                                X