Headlight upgrade(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight upgrade(?)

Doing that whole "asking a question someone else has probably already covered" thing again.

I've found threads, even Tech Tips, about LED signals, brake, and tail lights. I found data on a goofy "auto highbeam" switch. I haven't seen anything about options for replacing Elevener headlights with low draw LEDs. Is there such an option? Anything?
    "Venturered" 80 XS1100G - "DoraMax" getting sort of resto/destro ed.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.

A company called Trucklight makes a led headlight that matches the special as well as one for the standard. Not cheap, I think it is still around $200 for the headlight. There are a few here that have converted to it and like it.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Here they are.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1da20nff97_b
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I guess you didn't go back and read the last reply to your Bike ID thread in the Member's Lounge, otherwise you would have seen this post.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...1&postcount=15

It will give you ideas about how to upgrade the headlight with LED's. I'm waiting for my 30 year work anniversary bonus in a few weeks, and then I'll be able to start ordering a bunch of the parts I'm going to need to do the refresh on my bike, and it will include some type of LED headlight technology, just not sure which yet....either drop in H4/9003 bulb, or total assembly like Nate talked about....but a cheaper version than Trucklite....they are actually more like the JW Speaker brand(even pricier) but Import clones, but they are rated with rather strong LED "bulbs"/lights in their assemblies equaling 4,000 lumens total RAW output. YMMV.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

CREE seems to be the "magic" LED that lasts a long time and delivers large amounts of controlled light.
          TC I think that you will be disappointed in the low cost LED as unless you are very lucky the cheap ones are cheap in both price and performance.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

The Truck Lite is a good headlight, but needs some lights to back it up. I have LED flood lights mounted to the bottom of the forks. I'm happy with it.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
              The Truck Lite is a good headlight, but needs some lights to back it up. I have LED flood lights mounted to the bottom of the forks. I'm happy with it.
              I've got a set of the KC led lights on my old Cherokee. I could not have been more pleased with the purchase. Literally a night and day difference. Harharhar...

I'm considering trying them out on a special to see how they work by themselves
              79 F

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                I guess you didn't go back and read the last reply to your Bike ID thread in the Member's Lounge, otherwise you would have seen this post.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...1&postcount=15

It will give you ideas about how to upgrade the headlight with LED's. I'm waiting for my 30 year work anniversary bonus in a few weeks, and then I'll be able to start ordering a bunch of the parts I'm going to need to do the refresh on my bike, and it will include some type of LED headlight technology, just not sure which yet....either drop in H4/9003 bulb, or total assembly like Nate talked about....but a cheaper version than Trucklite....they are actually more like the JW Speaker brand(even pricier) but Import clones, but they are rated with rather strong LED "bulbs"/lights in their assemblies equaling 4,000 lumens total RAW output. YMMV.

T.C.
                Cat you are correct. Thannks for pointing it out to me. I've revisted the thread several times but skimmed that post too quickly.

Yeah it's a pretty blue, but just because you're old is no excuse to buy a bagger. Fortunately I have wrenches.

Comment

Nate, thanks for the link. The 27450C looks like it would drop right into my fairing, but I obviously need to go measure stuff.

Ian what did you mean by backing it up? is it too dim? Unreliable?
                  Last edited by puskrat; 05-06-2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

To avoid jumping back and forth in the conversations, I'll keep the lighting here: Since I'm using the transplanted Venturer body work, I don't have a headlight bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by puskrat View Post

Ian what did you mean by backing it up? is it too dim? Unreliable?
                      Directly in-front of the tire, and to the sides of the tire, it'd pitch-black. I not only want to see what's down the road, but I want to see what's directly in-front of me. The Cree 6-Led floodlights get the job done! I was told on the Lost Rally, they were as-visible as FA-18 fighter jet lights
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                        Directly in-front of the tire, and to the sides of the tire, it'd pitch-black. I not only want to see what's down the road, but I want to see what's directly in-front of me. The Cree 6-Led floodlights get the job done! I was told on the Lost Rally, they were as-visible as FA-18 fighter jet lights
                        FA18? hmm. You say that like it's a good thing

Comment

NIan what did you mean by backing it up? is it too dim? Unreliable?
                          LEDs are VERY directional. They need very good lenses on them to effectively disperse the light if you want good coverage.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

FA18? hmm. You say that like it's a good thing
                            Do u want to be seen? If not, get some candle sticks mounted on your bike.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

To avoid jumping back and forth in the conversations, I'll keep the lighting here: Since I'm using the transplanted Venturer body work, I don't have a headlight bucket.
                              Hi Puskrat,
                              If you slide down the linked page there are more than one option for the 5 x7 size of the "hole" in a Venturer fairing,. Your existing light should have the surround needed to mount to the "hole" or fabricate something.

A pair of low watt Halogen fog lights would throw a nice "puddle" of light immediately in front of the bike.

Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X