Oil filter gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter gasket

Attempting first oil change this week. Have Napa oil filter with both gaskets. Question before I take apart. The small gasket goes around bolt first and then put bolt through the housing? Then spring,washer and finally filter. Of course large gasket is pretty self explanatory. Thanks
    79 XS11SF

Yes, what you said is 100% correct.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yep, you got it. Washer touches the filter. Always make sure you actually get the O-rings in the box with the filter before trashing the old ones. Sometimes, the small one disappears.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks. Got 2 filters thru Napa for that hopefully 6k miles this year.
        79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by dbmb0416 View Post
          6k miles this year.
          I used to be in that boat. I'm sorry that's all you get...
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Ha. I only got 450 last year.
            79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Yes, what you said is 100% correct.
              Incorrect.......small gasket goes topside of filter over bolt, and O-ring goes on slotted portion of bolt.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Oh I'm sorry motoman, I thought he had it correct, my bad.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  Oh I'm sorry motoman, I thought he had it correct, my bad.
                  No problem, had ya' covered.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Incorrect.......small gasket goes topside of filter over bolt, and O-ring goes on slotted portion of bolt.
                    Gasket? What gasket? All I have seen are Oring seals and Oil filter in the box.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey guys,

The Original Poster just used slightly incorrect terminology...calling the O-rings Gaskets. There are NO gaskets in the oil filter kits....just the small O-ring for the filter bolt, and the large O-ring for the CUP.

BTW, if you have trouble keeping the large ring in the cup, you can apply some grease into the groove to help the O-ring stick in there, and others have recommended putting the O-ring in almost boiling hot water for a few minutes to help make it more pliable!

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Sorry meant to say o rings. If I take out carefully I should see how everything goes back in. All bolts look good so hopefully no rounded heads on either filter housing or oil drain plug.
                        79 XS11SF

Comment

Sorry meant to say o rings. If I take out carefully I should see how everything goes back in. All bolts look good so hopefully no rounded heads on either filter housing or oil drain plug.
                          Hi dbmb0416,
                          I use a 6 point socket to preserve the filter bolt. Has worked so far I prefer to remove the filter first as when it drops in the empty catch pan it is much easier than if it falls in the dirty oil. Retrieve the washer that has embedded it's self in the filter. Find the spring.
                          When installing the filter cup you need to ensure it seats properly......or the fresh oil sprays all over the floor DAMHIK
                          There is a small tongue that prevents the cup from spinning when aligned with the fins. I push and hold the cup up in to place then continuing to hold I tighten the bolt. Be very careful with the drain plug as many of us have stripped them. Use a fresh copper or nylon washer.
                          Remove the O rings from the filter carton and lay on a flat surface. It will soon find it's natural shape and not fight you installing it in the groove.
                          A dab of oil will hold it in place.
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

JAT.....outer O-ring on filter housing hasn't looked flattened for several yrs. and a whole lot of oil changes on my Venturer as of yet, and falls right back in place in the groove with no leakage. Same goes for the smaller O-ring on the housing bolt. Consequently, have several new filter housing O-rings hanging up. Not the normal advised option, but has worked fine so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                              Hi dbmb0416,
                              I use a 6 point socket to preserve the filter bolt. Has worked so far I prefer to remove the filter first as when it drops in the empty catch pan it is much easier than if it falls in the dirty oil. Retrieve the washer that has embedded it's self in the filter. Find the spring.
                              When installing the filter cup you need to ensure it seats properly......or the fresh oil sprays all over the floor DAMHIK
                              There is a small tongue that prevents the cup from spinning when aligned with the fins. I push and hold the cup up in to place then continuing to hold I tighten the bolt. Be very careful with the drain plug as many of us have stripped them. Use a fresh copper or nylon washer.
                              Remove the O rings from the filter carton and lay on a flat surface. It will soon find it's natural shape and not fight you installing it in the groove.
                              A dab of oil will hold it in place.
                              Phil
                              What's the size washer I should get for the oil drain plug? That's the one thing I don't have. Thanks for all the help.
                              79 XS11SF

Comment

Working...
                              X