No announcement yet.

TDC adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the shim out, look at the number printed on the bottom, put one in with a number that is less, take your measurement and determine the correct number needed.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Valves

Originally posted by coolbikr4684 View Post
      When replacing the shims and valve adjustment, how do I do it if the shims are tight. All the threads I find mention I measure the space between but my thinnest shim won't even go in.
      As the valve seats wear, the valves go UP in the cylinder head.
      This closes the lash gap. That is why the lash gets smaller. We are programed to think just the opposite.

A special tool and a selection of shims is needed to perform the valve adjustments. When performing this repair, always turn the engine by hand. Do NOT use the starter to turn engine while adjusting valves.

Here is a link to the procedure:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...just+pictorial

Some enthusiasts say to remove the cams to adjust valves - a totally incorrect procedure.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Can I still drive my xs if the valves are tight? I drive 14 miles to and from work and won't be able to work on the valves into Sunday.
        1979 XS1100SF

Comment

That's a good question...If I remember correctly...I would say you shouldn't drive it...But I never own a inline 4 engine before...Doesn't the engine run hotter if they are tight...I have always been told a little valve chatter noise is far better than them being tight...Your Call
          79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

Comment

When replacing the shims and valve adjustment, how do I do it if the shims are tight. All the threads I find mention I measure the space between but my thinnest shim won't even go in.
            Are you measuring them correctly? 180º opposite the highest point on the lobe where it contacts the shim?
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I measured correctly. Well than I will keep it parked until Sunday
              1979 XS1100SF

Comment

I'm pretty sure I measured correctly. Well than I will keep it parked until Sunday
                If they are all that tight you could burn a valve.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

When measuring for the shims all my valves are tight so ho do I measure for the correct size? I'm guessing I have to remove the shim and than measure with no shim installed and do the math from there. I just want to make sure I'm measuring correctly before I dive into it and start it.
                  1979 XS1100SF

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35434
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Back to the fuel filters... If your in tank filter towers are in good condition, the paper filters do nothing. Bikes have been run decades and decades and decades with the filter towers in the tank. If stuff is getting through the tank filters, assuming they are in good condition, you have bigger problems!
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                        Back to the fuel filters... If your in tank filter towers are in good condition, the paper filters do nothing. Bikes have been run decades and decades and decades with the filter towers in the tank. If stuff is getting through the tank filters, assuming they are in good condition, you have bigger problems!
                        I run some little lawn mower filters anyway. Peace of mind.

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

So my shims weren't as tight as I originally thought there was clearance but minimally.
                          E1 .008 Y285
                          E2 .008 Y285
                          E3 .008 Y285
                          E4 .008 Y280

I1 .005 Y280
                          I2 .006 Y275
                          I3 .006 Y275
                          I4 .005 Y275

If I follow the chart that I have on some of the threads I would need to change to
                          1 E275
                          2 E275
                          3 E275
                          4 E270

1 I265
                          2 I265
                          3 I265
                          4 I270

Just want to confirm before I go and buy/exchange some
                          1979 XS1100SF

Comment

So I messed up the numbers on the previous post. I mixed up mm and inches, good thing I always measure twice and cut once.

So my shims weren't as tight as I originally thought there was clearance but minimally. Measurements were done in inches.
                            E1 .008 Y285
                            E2 .008 Y285
                            E3 .008 Y285
                            E4 .008 Y280

I1 .005 Y280
                            I2 .006 Y275
                            I3 .006 Y275
                            I4 .005 Y285

If I follow the chart that I have seen on some of the threads I would need to change to
                            E1 280
                            E2 280
                            E3 280
                            E4 265

I1 275
                            I2 260
                            I3 260
                            I4 280

Just want to confirm before I go and buy/exchange them.

Comment

each shim size = .002 in.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X