Harley shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, awesome info!

I only have one of the original XS shocks, but I believe I have a couple of old XJ650 shocks I could rob the sleeves out of.

IIRC (at work now), the only fittings on these shocks are the quick-connect 1/8 line fittings.. both shocks connect to a single schrader valve with a couple of plastic lines.. Still shouldn't be too much of a problem draining the oil I think.

Thank you!

Vlad

Originally posted by MindWebs View Post
    the ID eyelet hole(rubber gromet for the steel) is the same diameter as our stock xs11 shocks on all the H-D shocks i've played with.

use a socket thats a touch smaller then the eyelet.
    drive out the rubber and steel, from the H-D.
    drive them out oh the stock XS11.
    drive the stock rubber's into the H-D shocks

do one at a time and if they are air shocks you may needs to remove a bit of aluminum from the frame side to make them fit up to the frame.

an angle grinder make short work of that.

happy modifying.

Ride on.

also use a mighty vac to switch out "fork/shock oil"
    the "air hole" i think is 1/8" MPT threads
    so 1/8" MPT to 1/8" hose barb fitting ($1-$2)
    flip shock upside down to remove all oil with mighty vac.
    flip shock right side up and install hose into vac cup fill cup with oil.
    pull a vacuum, and release, with the hose it will "suck" all the oil into the shock.

oil QTY?

well.....

put in 300-500cc oil, then you have to full compress the shock to full bottom out position. oil will come out.

this must be done with the shock in the vertical orientation as it will be mounted.

this will give you full travel on the shock.

if you do NOT do this.

IT WILL BE BAD!!!!

the oil will become a "hard stop' with nowhere to go, and you will have made a "Hard-tail" motorcycle.

Good luck
    ----
    '81 XS1100SH "Hound of Basketville" - new project
    '81 XS1100H Venturer
    '81 XJ750RH Seca

Comment

Originally posted by stereomind View Post
      Wow, awesome info!

I only have one of the original XS shocks, but I believe I have a couple of old XJ650 shocks I could rob the sleeves out of.

IIRC (at work now), the only fittings on these shocks are the quick-connect 1/8 line fittings.. both shocks connect to a single schrader valve with a couple of plastic lines.. Still shouldn't be too much of a problem draining the oil I think.

Thank you!

Vlad
      If you intend to leave and use the Schrader valves, those shocks need to be mounted on opposite sides that they were originally for Schrader valve clearance(valves outward, not inward).
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It's funny that I forgot all the little issues I came across upon installing those shocks!
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
        X