Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley shocks

Hey folks.

Would Harley air shocks (off an '08 Ultra) be too stiff for a reasonably light-weight XS1100 build? Or is that more of an air pressure/oil viscosity thing?

Thanks!

Vlad
    ----
    '81 XS1100SH "Hound of Basketville" - new project
    '81 XS1100H Venturer
    '81 XJ750RH Seca

They should work, just keep the air pressure down(spring pre-load). You will probably need to fit different bushings in the shocks so there is no slop in the bolts, though. Main thing is keep about 11-12 inch length on the shocks, plus/minus.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Cool, thanks! I shall give them a try then.

Vlad
      ----
      '81 XS1100H Venturer
      '81 XJ750RH Seca

Comment

Got the chrome Showas on mine. Beware, they're shorter than stock.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

As far as stiffness you should be fine. Measure that one shock that was on there eye to eye center to center, if the Hardley shocks are shorter you'll lose some cornering clearance.

And, the OEM shocks have different size eyes on the lower mounts.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Harley shocks may have a wider eyelet (at least mine from a Dyna did), so you may need to cut some off with a sawzall/hacksaw.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

IanD, I have the Showa's as well, didn't notice a change or difference in ride height? How much are we talking? Rides a butt-ton better than the old beginning-to-leak stockers fo'sho.
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                IanD, I have the Showa's as well, didn't notice a change or difference in ride height? How much are we talking? Rides a butt-ton better than the old beginning-to-leak stockers fo'sho.
                Yes sir, Mr. Bonz. I belive it's not much, but u can def tell putting the bike on the centerstand, etc. 1/2" difference if I were to guess?
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Well, they seem to be about the same length as the one shock I have on this bike right now (LOL Greg), but the eyelets are definitely bigger on the HD shocks, so I need to come up with a way to make them fit.
                  ----
                  '81 XS1100H Venturer
                  '81 XJ750RH Seca

Comment

It's been awhile, so I can't remember what I did:

I either pressed the OEM grommets out, or I had extra one's from the other air shocks.

And, as Phil said, you'll have to grind on the eyelet to gwt it to fot on the bottom.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by stereomind View Post
                      the eyelets are definitely bigger on the HD shocks, so I need to come up with a way to make them fit.
                      Build some sleeves to go into them.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        Build some sleeves to go into them.
                        ----
                        '81 XS1100H Venturer
                        '81 XJ750RH Seca

Comment

Now that I think about it more, I had to also drill 3 of the shock mount bushings out to 14MM, I think the Harley uses 1/2" or 13MM.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yup, you're right Phil.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

my 2 cents.. they work good...... some work needed.

the ID eyelet hole(rubber gromet for the steel) is the same diameter as our stock xs11 shocks on all the H-D shocks i've played with.

use a socket thats a touch smaller then the eyelet.
                              drive out the rubber and steel, from the H-D.
                              drive them out oh the stock XS11.
                              drive the stock rubber's into the H-D shocks

do one at a time and if they are air shocks you may needs to remove a bit of aluminum from the frame side to make them fit up to the frame.

an angle grinder make short work of that.

happy modifying.

Ride on.

also use a mighty vac to switch out "fork/shock oil"
                              the "air hole" i think is 1/8" MPT threads
                              so 1/8" MPT to 1/8" hose barb fitting ($1-$2)
                              flip shock upside down to remove all oil with mighty vac.
                              flip shock right side up and install hose into vac cup fill cup with oil.
                              pull a vacuum, and release, with the hose it will "suck" all the oil into the shock.

oil QTY?

well.....

put in 300-500cc oil, then you have to full compress the shock to full bottom out position. oil will come out.

this must be done with the shock in the vertical orientation as it will be mounted.

this will give you full travel on the shock.

if you do NOT do this.

IT WILL BE BAD!!!!

the oil will become a "hard stop' with nowhere to go, and you will have made a "Hard-tail" motorcycle.

Good luck
                              1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                              1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
                              X