No announcement yet.

dropped cylinders 2 & 3...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you cleaned the carbs? Those vent T's corrode up inside and clog.

You didn't answer the other questions about the airbox and the octy.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Everything is electrical with you Brant, even my restricted mufflers.
      ........that they are Greg, definitely having to do with the good looks they have on your scoot.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter4119 View Post
        I'll pull those vent lines tomorrow and stick a piece of metal clothes hanger to see if they are open...From what I remember...on the air box...those vent line holes are rather small...if they are blocked...it would have to be at the air box...
        ........clothes hanger to see if they're open?.......just tells me you haven't as of yet removed, cleaned or gone thru the carbs. Just guessing you had already BTDT and doule checked the float levels?
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The carb went through a good cleaning at home with cleaner and air hose...
          before they were installed...they spent a afternoon in a ultrasonic tank...Yes
          as stated above...the vents air hooked to the air filter box...No octy...manifold
          boot ports blocked off...front ports of the petcocks blocked off...right petcock
          feeds carbs 1&2...left petcock feed carbs 3&4...

PS: the other day...the bike did run out of gas while it was idling...put a gallon
          or so in the tank...started it up and she ran fine...until today when I changed
          the gas lines as outlined above...
          Last edited by MadHatter4119; 04-07-2016, 10:14 PM.
          79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

Comment

This is just me but when I'm trying to get one running good I'll take the airbox completely out so I can see what's going on with the carbs and it makes it a lot easier to R&R the carbs while you fiddle with them. JAT

With the flame shooting out the exhaust it sounds like you have a carb flooding. If you had the airbox off you could just turn the petcocks on and watch to see which one, or more, of the carbs is running over.

When I built my old 79 I would get it running good one day and come out the next day and #3 carb would be flooding like crazy. Drove me NUTS for a week or so until one of the multiple times I pulled it apart to clean and readjust the float I happened to shake the float..........it sloshed.

Had a tiny pinhole in the float and overnight it would fill up with gas and that carb would flood.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I had a feeling you was going to say...I need to pull the air box...before I
              do that...let me pull plugs 3 & 4 to see if they are wet like you said above...
              If they are...that's one thing...Needless to say...the thought of pulling that
              air box is at the bottom of my things to do list...I had a fit getting the air box
              in there...Don't have a clue on the best way to get it out...I'm assuming both
              need to be loosen up...carbs out first...than air box...CRAP CRAP CRAP...To
              old for all this stuff...What was I thinking ???

Comment

Do as I showed you before.

(1) Take the bottom off and remove the filter.

(2) Undo the 3 bolts holding it to the frame and pry that upper bracket down under the tab it bolts to.

(3) Loosen the clamps on the back of the carbs and unhook both carb vent hoses and crankcase vent hose.

(4) Pull the airbox back and push the front of it down so the boots are below the carbs.

From there you can easily remove the carbs and take the airbox completely out of the frame, reinstall the carbs and work on them.

Reverse procedure to reinstall the airbox. The carbs MUST be removed to get the airbox in and out of the frame
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

If I was sleeping...this would be a nightmare...I guess you can call it a
                  living nightmare...pulling this crap is right up there with going to the dentist
                  ...lol...they are calling for snow showers tomorrow...cold and cloudy today...
                  if it breaks 50 degrees today...I'll get out there and pull the carbs after I
                  check those spark plugs...Can't help to wonder...what's the story if they aren't wet Greg...electrical issue ???

Comment

After it sits a few days they may be dry anyway. Before you check the plugs start it again.

Let's check one thing at a time then we can eliminate thing one at a time.

From your description of black smoke and flame from the exhaust I'll pretty much bet you've got a carb issue.

What does everyone else think?
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      After it sits a few days they may be dry anyway. Before you check the plugs start it again.

From your description of black smoke and flame from the exhaust I'll pretty much bet you've got a carb issue.

Sounds suspitious, and ought to be visisble after starting and shutting it down. If that be the case, excessive fuel could of very well run forward to intake and into crankcase oil.....not good.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadHatter4119 View Post
                        The carb went through a good cleaning at home with cleaner and air hose...
                        before they were installed...they spent a afternoon in a ultrasonic tank...Yes
                        as stated above...the vents air hooked to the air filter box...No octy...manifold
                        boot ports blocked off...front ports of the petcocks blocked off...right petcock
                        feeds carbs 1&2...left petcock feed carbs 3&4...

PS: the other day...the bike did run out of gas while it was idling...put a gallon
                        or so in the tank...started it up and she ran fine...until today when I changed
                        the gas lines as outlined above...
                        A float may have dropped down and stuck when the bike ran out of gas.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post

From the bikes symptoms, black smoke and fire out of the pipes, I think your spot on with your diagnosis, Greg.

IMHO carbs may be clean, but not enough
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

• Greg...I'm 100% sure its a carb issue...not enough fuel getting to 3 & 4...when I had the left petcock feed carbs 3&4 i had and inch or two of
                          to much gas line...when I seated the tank...I had a severe kink in the gas
                          line on that side cutting off fuel delivery...Before i changed
                          the gas lines...it was running fine...so when I finally went out today...I took
                          my flash light and checked what I did...I seen the kink...than I just raised
                          the tank until the kink was out...put something under the tank and turned
                          the petcocks on and fired it up...No issue...little loud for me...PO ripped the
                          baffles out...wish I could find something to put in them to quiet it down some
                          ...??? I didn't run it to long...but it did get warm enough and it didn't smoke , no popping , no flames out the exhaust...I'm a happy camper...for now...Lol
                          Last edited by MadHatter4119; 04-08-2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Good find Harry, way to persevere, hopefully that'll let you get a ride in soon.

Any pics of your bike?
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

• WINNER we have a WINNER Well until the next roll of the dice
                              Madhatter thanks for persevering and posting everything you tried.
                              Those who helped Thanks to you he kept going when many would have quit.
                              Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

• No problem...Nothing I hate more than to read 10 pages of a post about an issue and it just stops...no fix posted...its like bang...right at a vital part it just
                                stops...drives me crazy...

Comment

Working...
                                X