No announcement yet.

dropped cylinders 2 & 3...????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh those...Don't the plug into the front of the air filter...That's where I got
    them going to...the crank case vent is in between the carb vents on the air
    filter housing...???????
    79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Why only the right side then Brant? 3 & 4 have nothing in common except fuel delivery.
      A secondary electrical issue IS the common demoninator, even though 3 &4 are not associated directly, plug ignition wise. Fairly sure your following my direction headed.
      Last edited by motoman; 04-07-2016, 06:56 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

That makes NO sense Brant. 3 & 4 are on different coils, different secondary ignition systems.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If it's electrical what do I check...I lost spark to 2&3 replaced TCI...The pipes are getting hot now...but running bad...popping , black smoke and
          flame shooting out the right muffler , won't idle...???? Thanks

Comment

That makes NO sense Brant. 3 & 4 are on different coils, different secondary ignition systems.
            Sorry, but makes perfect sense. Secndary ignition ELECTRICAL is the starting point for process of elimination BEFORE attacking the carbs.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sounds to me like raw gas getting into the muffler. Pull the plugs out of 3 and 4. See if 1 or both are wet.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Sorry, but makes perfect sense. Secndary ignition ELECTRICAL is the starting point for process of elimination BEFORE attacking the carbs.
                Everything is electrical with you Brant, even my restricted mufflers.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Will do tomorrow...I'm not smelling any fuel...

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter4119 View Post
                    If it's electrical what do I check...I lost spark to 2&3 replaced TCI...The pipes are getting hot now...but running bad...popping , black smoke and
                    flame shooting out the right muffler , won't idle...???? Thanks
                    Your gonna have to quit guessing and use your multi-meter and check that output voltages are same and equal to battery output voltage.......preferably 12v minimum. Key on.....check battery voltage first. Then, key on......voltage TO both coils. That would be a good start, and report back the findings. If voltage TO coils is less than battery voltage, removing, disassembling and cleaning of kill switch contacts WOULD be your next step. If no improvement voltage wise after that, internal cleaning of ignition switch contacts would be next.
                    Last edited by motoman; 04-07-2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      A secondary electrical issue IS the common demoninator, even though 3 &4 are not associated directly, plug ignition wise. Fairly sure your following my direction headed.
                      What does that mean?
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Sounds to me like raw gas getting into the muffler. Pull the plugs out of 3 and 4. See if 1 or both are wet.
                        That is a good call I would say...
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

So Greg...what do I do if the plugs are wet...you thinking floats or what...this was real sudden...it ran good yesterday when I started it
                          ...today I put longer gas lines on...right petcock feeding carbs 1&2
                          and left petcock feeding 3&4...changed it from left petcock feeding 1
                          and 2...right petcock feeding 3&4...Every time i tried to move the gas
                          tank...the lines prevented me from moving the tank any...with them
                          this way...I have some play and can raise the tank a little...

Comment

Do you have the airbox on it? AND, is the octy still on it?
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter4119 View Post
                              Oh those...Don't the plug into the front of the air filter...That's where I got
                              them going to...the crank case vent is in between the carb vents on the air
                              filter housing...???????
                              Yes, that's where they go but if they are plugged ANYWHERE the carbs will flood.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I'll pull those vent lines tomorrow and stick a piece of metal clothes hanger to see if they are open...From what I remember...on the air box...those vent line holes are rather small...if they are blocked...it would have to be at the air box...

Comment

Working...
                                X