• Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK...The readings are low...one set was 694 or so and the other set was 703
    ...these reading was pretty much the same at the plug behind the fuse panel
    ...What does this tell us...you ???
    79 XS 1100 Special "Basket Case"

Comment

Those ohm readings are a bit low and will probably make it not give a good signal until it warms up. Fought a cold start misfire on RockinD's bike for the same reason. It would misfire on 1 & 4 until the engine warmed up which heated the pickup coils and increased the resistance.

I noticed I said +/- 5 oms in my other post, I mean 50 ohms. Sorry

Try an experiment. If you have a little space heater, heat up the left engine cover or just point it at the pick ups and heat them up. Let them get good and heated then recheck your ohms.

If they both get back up in the 700 range check and see if you're getting spark then.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg...I tell you what...I think I'll post on the .org forum...this is killing me to come back and post...All motorcycle forums should have tapatalk...some
        way to reply...I have three flight of step to climb...no wonder I had a heart attack...Any , back at the ranch...The space heater / hair dryer did raise it a
        whole bunch...823 or so...but no spark on 2 & 3...I check while they were still pointed at the pickups...I'm going to .org to start a post...ok...thanks

Comment

Alright...........................
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Has the problem been narrowed down at all? I lost track once it became a 2 man game with BA80 and wires were being tested and he took his toys and went home. Is .org gonna have any better or different help? Don't think so.

Did he swap plug wires to the different coils or swap coils to the different plug wires like I suggested on page 2 and BA80 ditto'd a few posts later?
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Yeah Bonz, had him swap the wires on the coils and he got spark to 2 & 3. The coil works.

We're back to the TCI or the pick ups.

He's got a friend at an MC salvage that's going to loan them for testing. He's gotta get over there and pick 'em up.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hi People...Due the fact my luck isn't running so good...major transportation
                issue...I won't be able to get over to my friends Salvage yard until Saturday to
                get another TCI and hopefully some pickups...I have a 1979 XS 1100 Special
                and was wondering if any other year XS 1100 TCI and pickups will fit my 79 ???

Thanks...

Comment

Hey Harry,

ANY of the TCI's from 78 to 80 will work just fine. The slight changes in timing occured in the actual mechanical parts, different weights and such, but the TCI's were the same. ONLY in 81 and 82 did Yamaha make major changes and so those years are not compatible.

ALSO, if you get really froggy, you can even make your own from automotive components, there's a tech tip on it if you're interested! The TCI's are pretty robust, and rarely fail, the Pickup coil wires and occasionally the PU coils have been known to fail.

Good luck with the parts.

T.C.

Hey Bonz, don't get upset about Harry and Greg going to play on .org, Harry mentioned about how hard it was to run up and down 3 flights of stairs while trying to trouble shoot and be on line, and OUR site with it's OLD software doesn't have a CHAT mode, whereas .org has newer software and so was easier for them to communicate mano a mano via smartphone and such!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    This plug right here Harry.....

It's a rectangular plug that is capable if 6 wires but there are only 5. Like TC said, the light blue one is for the neutral light but there's 4 others, 2 0n each end of the plug, that are for the pick ups.

That plug needs special attention for riding in the rain but we'll come back to that. Let's get your problem solved first.
                    That looks like the connector with the three phases that come from the alternator and go to the rectumfrier/regulator...
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      That looks like the connector with the three phases that come from the alternator and go to the rectumfrier/regulator...
                      Fairly certain I KNOW which one it is skids.....
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

My bad, I understand the convenience of the chat function, hope he gets the bike figured out.

MadHatter4119, I haven't been much help with my posts and tone, my apologies on that too. You have a good grasp on what you are tracking down.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

No Problem Bonz...

Comment

I did notice at the pickups...I took a screw driver and laid it across the top
                            of each pickup coil...the magnetic field wasn't that strong...barely any resistance on the screw driver when you removed it...Just a thought...Don't
                            know if it means anything...????

Comment

No, it does not mean much. The big thing is the gap between the coil pickup and the reluctor. If I recall it should be .7mm, but I know it is someplace in the repair forums. You can check it if you have a wire type gauge easily, or if your like me, you need to pull the timing plate off, and use something for a spacer to hold the advance in place while you check with a flat feeler gauge.
                              Oh, and checking the book, resistance is 720 Ohms +- 20%, or 140 Ohms. So by the book, 580 Ohms to 860 Ohms is the range of "good". You DO really want both to be close though, as it will affect the spark output.
                              Your coils seem to be good by the resistance to me. Check the wires near the coils for breaks?
                              Last edited by DiverRay; 04-01-2016, 10:51 AM.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

When I first pulled the pickup cover off and seen all that crap...I said to
                                myself...look at all these moving parts...this has to be a nightmare to work
                                on...I guess I'll be finding out...I don't have a timing light...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X