• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! That looks good!

Originally posted by timktm View Post
    Here she is all shined up.
    Tim,
    That appears to have turned out very well. The bike looks great. Ya know, several people I know that are more experienced than I am at painting tell me that BLACK is the hardest color to do well. I have never painted black.

Did the scratches from the fallen lids come out good?
    How much did it end up costing you for the whole paint project?

I suspect, if you found a professional to do that for you (including the prep) you PROBABLY would have paid a minimum of $500 for that job. Some folks won't paint your home done prep work but just to squirt the paint someone would have wanted $300. And, you would have been waiting & waiting for it to be done. For some reason, my personal experience has shown MOST painters are slow as molasses getting the work done and delivered.

You did a nice job on those..... Next time you do one you'll cut your time in half and get even better results!

Glad I was able to be helpful!

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Kurt,
      I am horrible at keeping receipts, ask my wife, so I don't know the total. Probably around 300-350. I have had the same experiences with painters as you although probably worse as I have had a guy screw me and my Son over on a paint job.
      I will be honest, I didn't even wet sand it. I went to buy the polish and it was over $50, and the guy said I needed some other stuff to use before the polish to get the finish right before buffing. I felt it looked good enough. There are areas where the paint looks just beautiful and is smooth deep and shiny. And others where I damaged it not so nice. But at the end of the day it looks black shiny and I am happy and I learned a lot about painting. This will indeed help prepare me for my next paint job, most likely the tank. I will do a much better job on that having learned what I have from this.
      I am very happy with my body work and am confident I can make the tank look fantastic as well. It need some body work trust me.
      Thanks again! Oh, I forgot to mention my total included the latches and fasteners needed for the lids. And I forgot to say I added chains to the lids in case I forget to latch them. The latches I got off amazon. Oh, and I would not use the yellow adhesive for the trim again as it shows to much.
      Tim
      Last edited by timktm; 05-01-2016, 04:48 PM. Reason: Aditional comments.
      1979 xs1100sf black.
      1973 Harley fx.
      2005 Honda 450x.

Comment

Working...
      X