I got it!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got it!!

Sorry about the double post, but I had to say it... I got it! I had my final riding test this monday and passed it. No more restrictions. I can ride anytime and anywhere I want. Cool.

BTW: up here in quebec, you have to go through 3 tests to have your licence: 1st is a written test. Then you have to wait at least a month and take a 25 hour riding course that costs 500$. After that you can go and do the closed circuit exam. If you fail, you wait another month to do it again. If you pass, you get a apprentice driver licence that you have to keep at least 8 months. That licence lets you ride on the road, but you have to have another rider on another bike to supervize. He is responsible for your mistakes. Then you take the final exam and are free to ride if you pass. If not you have to wait for 56 days for another chance! That's 8 weeks! Talk about pressure.....

Anyway... It's all over now. If it can stop raining, I'll start taking the bike to work.

Ride safe

-Justin

Sounds just like Europe, where you can't ride more than 49cc without a lisence. Result: every little town in Europe is echoeing with the horrendous shrieking sounds of mopeds and scooters buzzing with modified exhausts to squeeze every 100th of hp out of the engine. I hated living there...
    Carpe Diem!
    1980 XS850G
    1973 CT70

Comment

Yeah, same deal here on scooters. With any car license you can hop on anything lower than 50cc. Hell even the 14yr olds can get one if they pass a WRITTEN test and get parents approoval. No riding test whatsoever. And yes, they all seem to have those loud, exhausts that are said to suck every ounce of power available out of those minuscule engines. They are everywhere. And they are out all the time. Even in winter, on the ice, in the snow. Those 14yr olds don't have anything else to move around with without sweating, sooo...... the junkyrds are full of those things in the spring! Most of them just have busted sides and bent forks. No experience + slippery conditions = crash.

-Justin

Comment

wow.

i wonder why so strict on getting a motorcycle license?

for me - i drove my bike for a year without a license. then read through the study book once, went right in and passed the written.

next week went in and took the driving portion which took about 15 minutes. i must say, though - that if i had not driven illegally for so long there is no way i would have passed that driving part.

in many small towns around here - you take the same written test (easy) and for the driving test, they just follow you around the block a couple times - having you make turns and such. nothing an inexperienced rider would have any trouble with.

Comment

I had been riding for a space of time before doing the simple 10 minute written test and the simple driving test.

Small towns are usually less strict but there is value in strict tests.

My test consisted of doing a couple of figure 8's in a small parking lot, using the signals for turns, and doing a quick stop.

I've learned everything else from real world (often scary) experience and here online.

Ben
          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

In Ohio, USA you must take a written exam (with eye exam) for a learing permit. Then you must ride thru the course in the DMV parking lot.

I ran thru the parking lot part a few times before I took my test. I had a lot of trouble with the weaving in and out of the cones, due to the factory special handlebars. I had to slip the clutch and use the rear brake to make it thru them. My bike handles much better at lower speed since I installed the bars of a 79 XS750 Standard on her. I am very happy with these bars.

I personally wish the tests were a little harder and that Rider Courses were made
            mandatory in this state. There are a lot of Bike owners in ohio and some of them just cannot Ride & Control thier machines properly & safely. But it sounds like Canada is overly strict on getting licenced.
            Bill Woods
            1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
            1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
            2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

hey bill. sounds like a similar road coarse to what I had to do here in lincoln ne. like i said, no way would i have ever passed without all the practice driving i'd done in the prior year.

i would say only a little better than half of the people passed the road coarse that day.

one guy showed up all decked out in harley gear, driving what looked to be a brand new harley. he didn't even come close. almost dumped his bike over, scraped up the exhaust. i saw 2 people completely dump their bikes over during the test.

Comment

Ontario Requirements

Ontario's not as bad as Quebec requirements, just longer. We get a 90 day permit (no highway driving, no passengers, no alchohol) after doing a written test. Then you've got two options, you can take the course for $300 which at the end you'll be given you M2 license (only limit is no alchohol in your system). Or you can wait 8 months then take the M2 test yourself. Then to get your complete M license you have to wait 22 months (if you took the course) or 28 months then take the road test. Your followed around town by a tester while you ride your bike.

Comment

Working...
                X