Stripped and stuck allen bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    +1 - these things are great. I had a lug nut on my Jeep that refused to come loose, and my impact wrench rounded the doggone thing off. I hammered the Craftsman version of a bolt grip onto it and used a four foot breaker bar to crack it loose. Sounded like a gun going off when it let go. If a bolt grip won't do the deed, it just ain't coming out.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Just grind the head off flat with the tensioner, pull the tensioner off, then use vice grips/heat on the stub left.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey everyone I appreciate all the great advice! Sorry I've been caught up with my studies so haven't been able to reply as promptly as I'd like to. I'm going to go the impact driver route and if that doesnt work then I'll be removing the head and then freezing the remaining piece of the bolt sticking out and try removing it with vice grips! Once again you all have been a wonderful help!

Thank you
        Regards, Kasim
        Kasim
        1980 XS1100 Midnight Special "Delilah" (First Motorcycle)
        "The depth of my struggle shall determine the height of my success."

Comment

Sorry, but post #7 is your best option unless you just like tearin' stuff apart for grins.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Sorry, but post #7 is your best option unless you just like tearin' stuff apart for grins.
            Had to go back and look and oop.. Yup, of course it's your suggestion. I guess you missed this part?

The magical vice grips have failed me
            Stuff is already tore up and he's replacing the tensioner. But AFTER he gets the tensioner off and has some bolt to grab onto, then yes, I agree this is the best option.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by motoman

Had to go back and look and oop.. Yup, of course it's your suggestion. I guess you missed this part?
              My cranial mass between my ears still a bit slow from the helmet impact of the wreck.............my story and stickin' to it.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
              X