Stripped and stuck allen bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped and stuck allen bolt

Hey fellow Yamaha owners. I've had the worst week trying to remove the top allen bolt of the cct. The lower one is removable, but the top was stripped to begin with as well as tightened too much. In the process of trying to remove it I've rounded out the insides as well as attempted to make slits so that I may place a flat head but it just wont seam to budge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzP...VlbngtaFE/view
    (bolt looks worse now)

I cant fit vice grips in this gap, but I was wondering if I could remove the bolt attached to the engine right above the cct without having any issues. Then I believe Ill be able to fit the vice grips and hopefully remove it. Any suggestions would be appreciated and an answer to this question would also be.

Thank you
    Regards, Kasim
    Kasim
    1980 XS1100 Midnight Special "Delilah" (First Motorcycle)
    "The depth of my struggle shall determine the height of my success."

Impact driver if you have room ? Might need to re-new the slot you made to provide enough grip for a slot type driver for you impact.

Originally posted by LabidySabidy View Post
    Hey fellow Yamaha owners. I've had the worst week trying to remove the top allen bolt of the cct. The lower one is removable, but the top was stripped to begin with as well as tightened too much. In the process of trying to remove it I've rounded out the insides as well as attempted to make slits so that I may place a flat head but it just wont seam to budge.

(bolt looks worse now)

I cant fit vice grips in this gap, but I was wondering if I could remove the bolt attached to the engine right above the cct without having any issues. Then I believe Ill be able to fit the vice grips and hopefully remove it. Any suggestions would be appreciated and an answer to this question would also be.

Thank you
    Regards, Kasim
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Yes, you can remove the nut directly above the tensioner, it is just a minor fastener for the cylinder head, when re-tightening it, torque to 14 ft/lb IIRC.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks sunday. Ive been told thats an effect method but ive never used one nor do I own one. But I found out home depot rents them out so ill give it a shot tomorrow. But since I can safely remove the bolt above the cct I suppose Ill try the vice grip method again. Thanks for the great info Phil!
        Kasim

Comment

You're welcome, good luck!
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It'll happen for you, you are determined !
            I would also mention that keeping everything in time is so important, if your changing out the CCT. I've not done it so the advice you get from the listers and threads on this require complete comprehension.
            I don't understand how so many have bent valves changing to the ACCT ?
            Like I said, I've not done it ,,,,, yet.
            Luck to You ! Done
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by LabidySabidy View Post

(bolt looks worse now)

Thank you
              Regards, Kasim
              Snap a pair of vice grips on ouside of allen bolt and give them a tap on end with a hammer.............lefty-loosey.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The magical vice grips have failed me Oh well I suppose patience is a virtue. Thanks for the tip sunday, I'll be swapping it to an acct and will be taking all the necessary precautions to ensure all goes smoothly.
                Kasim

Comment

Rent an impact driver? buy one, they're cheap! Thought the vise grip might work...Good luck.
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

First, I would clean the motor off thoroughly and remove all that grease and build-up.
                    Second, I would make sure the motor is in the correct position on the timing plate for removal of the CCT.
                    Third I would remove the exhaust and get it out of the way if possible.
                    Fourth I would apply a bit of heat using a propane torch to the boss on the motor where the CCT is bolted (not to the CCT body) this expansion might crack the corrosion holding the bolt threads tight.
                    Fifth I would try to use a bolt extractor (I know Irwin makes them) to bite into the stripped allen head and remove the bolt. You might also find something like that at Harbor Freight or perhaps an auto parts store.

Best of luck to you
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Best tool in the tool box. http://www.lowes.com/pd_577634-281-3...11480002581652
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

In my opinion, the best investment ever is a spray can of Kroil. Spray where the bolt enters the threaded hole. Come back in in an hour and spray it again.

All of the rust will drip away and the bolt will come out.
                        82 XJ1100 - sold
                        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Two last-gasp shots for removing that bolt...

One, just drill the head off the bolt; use the largest drill that will fit into the hex hole. This will leave about 1/4" of bolt sticking out once the CCT is out, apply vice grips. Still a bit risky as the you can damage the stub to the point where you will have issues in 'working' it...

Two, get a sacrificial allen wrench (the largest that will fit), tap it into the hole then weld it to the bolt head. The heat will help loosen it, and the wrench will let you turn it out.

Actually, there's a third way too. Do number one, but rather than vice grips, drill out a nut of the right size, push it onto the stub and weld the nut to it.
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 11-07-2015, 01:16 PM.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I use a star drive the next size up and hammer it in to the Allen bolt. It holds tight enough it usually takes a hammer to get the star drive back out.
                            1979 XS 1100SF Serenity
                            1981 XJ650 Midnight - Black Betty
                            Road Dog 4 Life

Comment

Again, snapping a pair of vice grips on allen bolt end, then tapping vice grips lightly with a hammer shoukd release allen bolt,
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X