Long term storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term storage

Not wanting to hijack another thread on winter storage, my question involves going longer than a season. I plan to be gone for almost a year and need to store the bike for that period. I just rebuilt everything so storage shouldn't be too much a problem.

I know the following:

- Change oil and filter.
    - Clean entire bike.
    - Light weight oil in cylinders (small amount) then turn over. May try fogging.
    - Drain tank and carb bowls of all fuel after running ethanol free gas.
    - Place in dry place on centerstand.
    - Support front wheel off ground without contact to rear.
    - Cover bike in breathable cover (make sure totally dry first).

Do I have all the bases covered?
    1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
    2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Rich,

BATTERY, didn't see that you addressed a plan for the battery. I'd get it out of the bike. A potential problem that can easily be avoided.

What about the chrome stuff. You are in a humid area. Maybe somebody could recommend what do with the shiny stuff. oil it?

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Yes, battery. I usually remove it completely and take it somewhere it won't freeze.

Also have:

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Thanks a long time for battery to sit without being charged, now and then...!Bring it to s friends have him battery sit...?
        1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
        2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

That's a long time sitting. Sitting is bad for them. It'd be better if you took it to a local member and let them just store it/ride it for you. They could send you some video of the riding so you wouldn't miss it so bad.. you know.. outrunning the cops, wheelies, scraping pegs on turns..

On second thought....
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

RV-- park over a tarp ( plastic sheet), esp. if it's going to be in an unheated garage. The cement floor will hold/ give off moisture, and the tarp stops it from ruining the chrome.
            79 F
            Previously owned: (among others)
            1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
            1973 Suzuki TM 125
            1979 XS1100 F
            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
            1991 BMW K75

Comment

They make some stuff you can fog the inside of your gas tank with to prevent rust. Can't remember the name, though. It's some kind of an oil made specifically for gas tanks. My brother put it inside his tank, and his bike sat for a couple years like that and it kept the rust away.

I just put Betsy back on the road this summer after letting her sit for four years. I didn't do anything prior. When the time came to put her back in service I cleaned the carbs (cause I left gas in them), changed all the fluids, rebuilt the brakes, and installed a new battery. She came back to life with a vengeance.

Brakes get pretty nasty if you let them sit for a long time - almost like stuff grows around the pistons. If I'd drained the carbs and the tank I might have gotten away with just doing the brakes. Might not be a bad idea to change the brake fluid before putting her to bed just to get as many contaminants and moisture out as possible, and change it again when you get back. But like I said - mine sat for four years. They shouldn't get too terrible in just one.

I had it sitting in a garage, and I covered it with an old bed spread. I'm not crazy about putting plastic over metal 'cause sometimes it does more harm than good. I learned that with firearms - almost guaranteed to make 'em rust. Something that breaths is usually a better choice. But at any rate, you definitely want to store it indoors.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                It'd be better if you took it to a local member and let them just store it/ride it for you.
                Yikes! I would like to have someone who knows bikes store it so they can watch for problems. It's the second half, however, that gives one pause...

Also have:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                  RV-- park over a tarp ( plastic sheet), esp. if it's going to be in an unheated garage. The cement floor will hold/ give off moisture, and the tarp stops it from ruining the chrome.
                  It's going to depend on where it ends up. The tarp on concrete is a very good idea. I may have it stored on a raised wood floor in a dry area. I don't know if the tarp is needed in that case.

Also have:

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                    They make some stuff you can fog the inside of your gas tank with to prevent rust. Can't remember the name, though. It's some kind of an oil made specifically for gas tanks. My brother put it inside his tank, and his bike sat for a couple years like that and it kept the rust away.
                    I already permanently coated the inside of the tank with stuff that prevents any rust. It should hold it back (I hope).

I just put Betsy back on the road this summer after letting her sit for four years. I didn't do anything prior. When the time came to put her back in service I cleaned the carbs (cause I left gas in them), changed all the fluids, rebuilt the brakes, and installed a new battery. She came back to life with a vengeance.
                    It is my intention to drain all remaining gas after running a full tank of non-ethanol fuel so I shouldn't need to do a cleaning. Oil change, of course, to get any trapped moisture out of the crank. New brakes and battery depending on their shape after storage.

I had it sitting in a garage, and I covered it with an old bed spread. I'm not crazy about putting plastic over metal 'cause sometimes it does more harm than good. I learned that with firearms - almost guaranteed to make 'em rust. Something that breaths is usually a better choice. But at any rate, you definitely want to store it indoors.
                    I'm not inclined to cover any bike with a plastic tarp except for very short periods. I use a commercial cover that vents/breathes and gathers at the bottom to keep it in place. I would NEVER store a bike outside for long periods, even covered. I found this bike after 10 years outside and it took me 2 years to fully restore it. That's not happening again.

Thanks for the advice.

Also have:

Comment

Might want to look into those tent like "garages" made for bikes. I had a buddy that actually used a tent to store his rig in.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

My Venturer has been sitting here in my garage, unstarted, carbs dained and full with 6.5gallons of fuel treated with Stsartron since LAST August. Still smells like good fuel, but that length of time do not trust its burning correctly ability. Gonna drain it all before any fuel even hits the carbs. Substantually enough fuel, gonna try some in the Honda mower and mix a bit for the weed eater. If they fire up and work correctly, just gonna use that fuel in the lawn equip. Don't want any iffy cond. to exist with the Venturer and 'chase my tail'.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I had four year old gas in Betsy's tank at the beginning of the summer. I siphoned it out and put it through a Mr. Funnel to get any water or debris out of it, mixed it 50/50 with fresh gas and put it right back in the tank. Worked fine.
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

All good, and the batt. too.
                            If it's in a room alone you're good, if other winter vehicles enter and bring salted road snow that melts, then wipe anything you don't want to rust/corrode with a PTFE product, (Tri flow, Super lube, or my fav. aerosol Slick 50, least cost too.)

Originally posted by RichV View Post
                            Not wanting to hijack another thread on winter storage, my question involves going longer than a season. I plan to be gone for almost a year and need to store the bike for that period. I just rebuilt everything so storage shouldn't be too much a problem.

I know the following:

- Change oil and filter.
                            - Clean entire bike.
                            - Light weight oil in cylinders (small amount) then turn over. May try fogging.
                            - Drain tank and carb bowls of all fuel after running ethanol free gas.
                            - Place in dry place on centerstand.
                            - Support front wheel off ground without contact to rear.
                            - Cover bike in breathable cover (make sure totally dry first).

Do I have all the bases covered?
                            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                            80 XS650 G Special II
                            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                            80 XS 1100 SG
                            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Does any cover their exhaust pipes and intakes to keep moisture out? Is it really necessary?

Also have:

Comment

Working...
                              X