No announcement yet.

Exhaust for '82 XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Rick, I really like your exhaust. Where did you purchase your exhaust and for how much? Also, I really love your front turn signals. Are they aftermarket or did you make a bracket for the stock ones? I have always hated the signals on the headlight.

Comment

mac jardine

I know they both got systems for our bikes,i just liked my kerker.Sounded real good looked even better. But i'll probly go with the jardine,my muffler is still in ok shape i'll try to graft the two together.
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Vintage Jardine 4-2 on XJ

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had fitted a vintage Jardine 4-into-2 system to my XJ. Originally from a Special, I think, a litle modification was needed to make it fit. Pictures :

#1 and #4 exit the right side, #2 and #3 exit left in this 'crossover' arrangement.

Headers were cut about 1.5 inches to move the muffler mounting tab under the XJ bracket. A 4-inch piece of flat stock was used to tie the Jardine tab to the XJ.

The Jardine pipes are longer than stock XJ pipes, and do have to be dropped to remove the back tire.

On my installation the 3-point engine guards, both sides, had to be notched to give the header pipes clearance.

The crossover tube bolts can hit the kickstand. Make sure you rotate the bolts vertical, not as pictured here, to get all the clearance possible for the kickstand, else it will drag a bit sooner than stock.

Not the best photo with SWMBO's Jeep grand Cherokee in the background, but does show the Jardine system as it is installed on my XJ. The floorboard installation was covered in previous threads, but a sharp eye will pick up the heel-toe shifter installed since the floorboard thread was posted.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey foxjohnc

I got the exhaust from MAW it's for a XS11 and also the XJ11.
          I think it was $329.00

Turn Signals I picked up on E-Bay they are off a HD and I custom made some brackets from Dennis Kirk.
          Rick Wood
          XJ1100 (Construction Complete)(SOLD)
          Northern Michigan

Comment

Hey Jerry.

It looks like wwe have the same pipes on our bikes, but mine seem to be a little shorter. They end just short of the rear axle. Mine like yours, are more parallel to the ground, instead of upswept, like those on the Special, so that's why we both needed to make a bracket to attach to the rear foot peg bracket. I wish there were some way to get the mufflers to angle upwards. It would look so much better.

Comment

Working...
            X