Exhaust for '82 XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for '82 XJ

I desperately need an exhaust system for my '82 XJ. I think my parts bike has good headers but am not sure. Does anyone have a good set that they would sell? How about aftermarket? I would prefer the stock look. Am rebuilding the bike and my exhaust is horrible. Will have the 10k engine and gauges in by the end of the week. Am going to strip and polish all aluminum parts and have the tank and engine painted. Good exhaust would revive my maxim.

Exhaust

If the headers are good on your parts bike then all you will need to buy is aftermarket mufflers and 4 exhaust sealing rings. There is a multitude of aftermarket mufflers around. Also many on the forum have bought almost new mufflers from Harley riders who can't wait to get there original mufflers off and replace with as much chrome as they can afford. Check the tech tips. I'm pretty sure there is a "how to" for fitting Harley mufflers in there.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Do you know of any that retain the stock look? I'd like my bike to look as original as possible.

Comment

Mufflers

Go to; www.650motorcycles.com, Mike has a multitude of different exhaust parts. He has an on line catalog at the site given. If you still can't make up your mind from there, measure up (length and in pipe size) of what you need and phone him.
        He is good to deal with. I just bought several items off him that are/were for XS 650's but cross over to our bikes. Another member on the forum just got 4 carb floats for his XS1100 from Mike as well.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Keeping the stock look on the XJ is going to be a llittle difficult. The XJ pipes are a bit upswept and shorter than other XS models. I snagged a Jardine 4 into 2 system which fits OK but the mufflers are longer than stock and of a different style. The head pipes are larger diameter than the XJ, so fitting the XJ pipes to the Jardine headers is not a bolt-up swap. I used the Jardine mufflers. I ended up cutting the collector pipes a bit shorter (about 1.5 inches per side) which moved the rear muffler mounting bracket underneath the stock location, but had to add a short (4 inch) bar between the original mounting hole and the muffler bracket. Since the muffler is lower than original and slightly larger, the side stand hangs a litle lower and drags a bit sooner.

Note: The Jardines were from a Special, I think, not specifically designed for the XJ which is why I needed to modify the system to fit. Hey, it was used and a good price, what can I say.....

The Jardines use a cross-over design pairing cylinders #1 and #3 as a set and #2 and #4 as a set. Some people like this crossover look, others do not. It does not look original.

Original mufflers are no longer available from Yamaha. (Last I checked the left was but the right was not.) So your choices are to find good used parts or adapt something like the Jardine 4 into 2 to your XJ.

Let me know if you would like to see pics of my installation.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

exhaust pipes

I just saw a parts bike that sold on ebay last week under 250$. I personally saw the bike and the exhaust looked good. You may want to email him and see how much he wants for them. I purchased mine last month from a junk yard for $200 and they sound great. Good luck.

Comment

stock exhaust

i have one i would part with but would need either 1) aftermarket 4-1 or 2)money enough to buy after market 4-1. So i would trade straight up for a 4-1 or have to sell mine for about 300 dollars.And thats my final anwser....lol.
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

pics of exhaust

theese might work
                [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
                1982 XJ 1100

Comment

He Jerry,
                  I would like to see the picture of your XJ with thte Jardines. My Jardine's for the special (not installed yet) cross over also. But mine go 1-4 down the right side, and 2-3 down the left. Then they have the dual mufflers - an a side to side equalizer pipe.
                  I agree with Ken/Sooke on the harly muffler idea. I almost done it to my bike, but I bought a factory 4-2 from arizona, then bought the Jardine 4-2 crossovers $358.00 on ebay(discontinued, find a set while they last!).
                  I was going to install the jardines, but I need to clean my engine & frame first. So i installed my factory pipes from arizona, which was $63.00 on ebay - what a deal. I may run these pipes a few years till i install my new jardines. I don't want to be looking for another exhaust while I own the bike, imagine how scarce new exaust system will be in 15-20 more years.

My advice is buy a new exhaust for you XJ while you can, or check ebay very often till a nice used factory set is up for auction.
                  like Janis joplin said "get it while you can"
                  Bill Woods
                  1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                  1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                  2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Jardine 4-2 Pics

Hey Guys,

I have not posted on a while but I read most of the posts, Seen this one and had to show you my Aftermarket Jardine 4-2.

On my rebuild I went for the Jardine 4-2, you will need to modifiy the break lever (Bend it out a bit and them back in again), and I built a mounting braket with a offset to keep the pipes as close as posiable.

Hava a look

Rick Wood
                    XJ1100 (Construction Complete)(SOLD)
                    Northern Michigan

Comment

pipes

only problem is do you have to remove the pipes to do back tire work?
                      1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Re: Exhaust for '82 XJ

Originally posted by foxjohnc
                        I desperately need an exhaust system for my '82 XJ. I think my parts bike has good headers but am not sure. Does anyone have a good set that they would sell? How about aftermarket? I would prefer the stock look. Am rebuilding the bike and my exhaust is horrible. Will have the 10k engine and gauges in by the end of the week. Am going to strip and polish all aluminum parts and have the tank and engine painted. Good exhaust would revive my maxim.
                        Have you considered a pair of Harley Sportster mufflers? They can be found cheap in almost new condition on ebay. I put a set on the Mongrel and I'm very pleased with them.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

mufflers

HELLO, pics above of perfectly good STOCK mufflers,head pipes have surface rust only!No soft metal at all,muffler ends are even in above average condition(can't get much more stock looking than stock parts)I just want aftermarket 4-1 on mine thats all,and can't get kerker anymore.Willing to trade even up for used aftermarket 4-1 system.
                          1982 XJ 1100

Comment

I remember several members in the past that got the new exaust trumpets from JCWhitney... I think they also affectionately called it "JC Whitless"...

They do have aftermarket exaust components for reasonable prices.
                            klr

Comment

Re: mufflers

Originally posted by chevy45412001
                              HELLO, pics above of perfectly good STOCK mufflers,head pipes have surface rust only!No soft metal at all,muffler ends are even in above average condition(can't get much more stock looking than stock parts)I just want aftermarket 4-1 on mine thats all,and can't get kerker anymore.Willing to trade even up for used aftermarket 4-1 system.
                              Both Mac and Jardine still make 4 into 1 systems for the XS11 (and probably) XJ1100. check out http://www.denniskirk.com/

I don't know if either of them will clear a oil cooler adaptor.

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X