Rockin'D's engine overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockin'D's engine overhaul

Doc got his SG out of a field, dragged it home and started fixing it. First thing was the engine was locked up so he spent a long time soaking the cylinders with penetrating oil and working to bust it loose.

Finally got it loose and everything fixed and working but it always used a lot of oil and gas.

Last spring he lost #1 cylinder and parked it. I figured he had broken a ring as bad as it used oil.

He purchased one of those $150 BB kits from ebay and it showed up the other day so today we proceeded to tear down the top end.

First thing when the head came off we found a BADLY burnt exhaust valve in #1 cylinder. So, there is the lost #1 cylinder.

But, that still didn't explain the oil consumption. 3 of the 4 pistons were washed well back from the edges so it was obvious the rings weren't sealing properly.

We pulled the cylinders and it was obvious why. The cylinders were rust pitted from sitting and seizing up.

Off to the machine shop to get the 1196 pistons fitted and the head repaired.

I know that several people here were curious about those inexpensive BB kits on ebay so I started this thread to take y'all trough it and we'll all see how it turns out.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Interesting. What do you think burned that valve? Loose header/ bad exhaust gasket seal coupled with a lean cylinder?

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hard to say with the engine in the condition it is. Could have been rust or a chunk of carbon stuck in the seat allowing the seat to leak.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Wow, guys! I'm surprised it ran as well as it did, Doc!
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I have suggestions for the big bore kit. First ask the shop if they want to bore them in or out of the cylinder. Some have a mount to where its easy to support just the cylinder and not the whole assembly. You can pop the cylinders out of the casting using an oven set to 400 degrees and they will fall out if upside down at about 350. It would be good to clean and paint them before putting them back in. Ask the shop to make small cuts at the end as these cylinders can deform with a heavy cut. Might be best to use a shop high speed hone to do the last clean up of a few mm worked great for mine as perfect as could be. If he bores it out and you have it tight to the book minimum on skirt clearance then the ring gap is perfect with the rings that come with kit.

I have a Mack Flare tip pipe set, air box standard, standard foam filter and running at 120 jets its too lean for mine had to go to 122.5 mains out of book float height. Good luck
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends
          Rear trunk add-on
          http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Doc says he found someone to bore the cylinders assembled and fit the pistons for $150. If this guy gets it done right I may be visiting him.

I think assembled is the way to go because refitting the cylinders would cause warpage for certain.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

150 is cheaper than I paid but I did not know anyone had to search for a local top notch shop. Those were my suggestions Japan seller told me the spec's are the same as for the original pistons for skirt and ring gap etc. At least clean the assembly before the bore rust even on the outside of cylinders is not your friend.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
                At least clean the assembly before the bore rust even on the outside of cylinders is not your friend.
                If it has rusted between the cylinders and the aluminum housing then it will be the first time I've seen it happen. That part is only exposed to the oily crankcase environment.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Getting the base gasket scraped off ready to go back together....

Got the rebuilt head and bored cylinders back a while back.

Haven't been in a big hurry because of financial constraints and besides, Doc has this LG barn find to ride for the time being. It had sat for MANY years in a barn next to a 51 Willys pickup. Took us a couple weeks to get the bird crap and dust cleaned off and to get it running. Runs great. Doc has ridden it a lot of miles since.

Looks like hell but it hasn't given him any problems.

Last edited by BA80; 02-20-2016, 04:06 PM.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

So.... did he get past the gasket scraping stage or did the beer drinking get in the way?
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I just went in the house and took a nap. He was wearing me out with the gasket scraping. He'll be getting the pistons and rings on this weekend.

Came up with an idea for ring compressors, a couple of SS quick release hose clamps. Gonna get a couple and see how that works. They're 3/4" wide.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I've tried a couple different variations of spring compressors, but found it just ends up being easier with an extra set of hands feeding one piston in while you feed the other, then repeat. Usually with a set of rings popping out the bottom a time or two until you get the cyls pushed down over all 4. But.. I hope you find a better way because that part of it is a PITA.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Update......

Finally got Doc back over here to get this piece of furniture put back together.

Pistons and rings installed on the rods......

Doc cleaning the last of the old gaskets off the jugs.....

Fitting the jugs over the new BB pistons....

We found that just plain old hose clamp worked really well as a ring compressor.

Jugs went on fairly easily........

Cams installed, no problem.......

Now that it went back together fairly easily we checked the valve clearances. My thinnest feeler guage is .002" and the ONLY lobe it would slip into was #4 exhaust.

Cams will be coming back out to replace ALL the shims and attempt to get it closer.

We should have checked it on the bench but I wasn't thinking.

Apparently the machinist didn't dress the tips of the valve stems as he should have. I hope we can come up with thin enough shims to get it into spec.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                          X