Mph vs rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mph vs rpm

I get the feeling my speedometer is off and my tach is jumpy . Can any one tell me what rpm is normal at 35mph and 80mph. Might even be interested in buying a new set of gauges for my 79F. Don't care what they look like as long as their accurate, functional, and not smashed to all hell. Pm me here or text to 406-670-8632. Thanks for your time
    79 XS11 F

With a 750 FD my '79F is doing 3800 rpms at 70 mph in fifth gear. Just checked it a couple weeks ago. With the stock FD it should be somewhere around 4400 rpms at 70.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey, Ranger ...

When Cycle tested the '78E, they had a reading of 3,790 RPM @ 60 MPH.

Assuming you have the stock FD and 17" rear wheel, your F should be the same.

You could use this as a baseline to determine if your gauges are functioning properly.

But, if your tach is "jumpy", it may be difficult to get a good RPM reading at any given speed.
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
        I get the feeling my speedometer is off and my tach is jumpy . Can any one tell me what rpm is normal at 35mph and 80mph. Might even be interested in buying a new set of gauges for my 79F. Don't care what they look like as long as their accurate, functional, and not smashed to all hell. Pm me here or text to 406-670-8632. Thanks for your time
        New or different speedo won't fix the issue. Try pulling the fuse panal and unpug that smallest plug-in with the two tiny pin type plug-ins. 'don't care what they 'look' like, clean BOTH plug-in contact surfices till they schine. Plug them back together and try it again.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          New or different speedo won't fix the issue. Try pulling the fuse panal and unpug that smallest plug-in with the two tiny pin type plug-ins. 'don't care what they 'look' like, clean BOTH plug-in contact surfices till they schine. Plug them back together and try it again.
          BTW, my Venturer's speedo AND tach, both original ARE spot on. 60mph IS 3950rpm............80mph IS 5,000rpm. That with new Conti Go tires which ARE spot on the original rear 4.50-17in. and the front 3.50-19in.. BTW, these particular brand/model tires even though the 90series match perfectly with original sizes.
          Last edited by motoman; 09-17-2015, 08:18 PM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for all the info, you guys were right. It's the tire, had a buddy follow me and checked the tach vs speedo and its consistent.
            79 XS11 F

Comment

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
              Thanks for all the info, you guys were right. It's the tire, had a buddy follow me and checked the tach vs speedo and its consistent.
              Guess you missed my point in post #4. In fact, you BETTER unplug and clean ALL rhose plug-ins behind fuse panel, as alternator stators are NOT cheap!
              Last edited by motoman; 09-19-2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Guess you missed my point in post #4. In fact, you BETTER unplug and clean ALL rhose plug-ins behind fuse panel, as alternator stators are NOT cheap!
                In fact, that goes for ALL you newbies, or it could become VERY expensive.

Comment

Working...
                X