Header studs/cap head bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header studs/cap head bolts?

Want to change for stainless cap heads looked under mods but no joy, has anyone got the sizes I would need for an sf mod, stainless washers maybe?
    79SF
    xjr ohlins shocks, tarozzi forkbrace, bsa handlebars, bsm exhaust

Howdy- That's one thing I'd recommend you not to do. Buy new studs, buy the nuts, and enjoy the look.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The po changed to bolts rather than studs, are stainless studds nuts an option?
      79SF

Comment

Those are a 10mm fine thread IIRC, and you won't find anything ready-made in stainless because SS galls so easily in a fine thread. You may be able to find a chrome nut; somewhere on here is a post where the owner found some that would work, but he had to make the washers. The ones he found were not duplicates of OEM, and there was no follow-up to know if they worked out.

If you know a machinist, it wouldn't be too hard to make some out of some stainless hexagonal bar stock. MAKE SURE YOU USE ANTI-SEIZE ON THE THREADS!
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks, found on evil bay a full set stainless with nuts wash:-)ers and gaskets made as a direct replacement for 50 GBP
          79SF

Comment

Item number 261327345495 thanks
            79SF

Comment

Originally posted by Robsweetland View Post
              The po changed to bolts rather than studs, are stainless studds nuts an option?
              Studs better stabilized cyl. and head.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I put stainless acorn nuts on mine. They got slathered with a generous amount of anti seize compound first. Since the block is aluminum and the studs are steel, there will always be some galvanic corrosion going on. Adding stainless may make it worse, so anti seize is not optional. You have to use it.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the info, the stud kit comes with a tube of anti seize
                  79SF

Comment

Question, does anti seize make it more likely that nuts will come undone through vibration?
                    79SF

Comment

Originally posted by Robsweetland View Post
                      Question, does anti seize make it more likely that nuts will come undone through vibration?
                      No. Just be advised that if you use a torque wrench, you'll be applying more torque than if the threads were clean and dry. Torque specs are given for clean dry threads unless otherwise specified.

I would use the antiseize. Check the exhaust bolts periodically.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Ok,thanks
                        79SF

Comment

Those are nice looking but at $76 dollars. I just went to my local Ace Hardware and found what I needed minus the studs.

Bill
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

What about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Xs110...272109&vxp=mtr

Bill
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

Working...
                            X