Swamp Thing Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Swamp Thing"

Randy, "Swamp Thing" looks to nice to ride. You should get it shrink wrapped and put in a time capsule
    Beautiful effort. Congratulations
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

All right how did you do it

That thing is shinier than mine. I've got my next 20 spare weekends spoken for now. Thanks allot, SWMBO will be ever so happy with you. Oh well she has to have something to B***h about. It looks great try the rub n buff on the valve covers and all banjos the stuff does wonders. I think the tin foil is also a nice touch. Pretty loud huh. Glad you finally got your front S/S break lines on. I love the ones you made for me. Are you still going to move your rear blinkers down to the tail light piece. Come on tell us the truth is it as shiny as the pic or what. What kind of paint did you use? Nobody polishes the header studs besides they are steel and wouldn't polish like that if your life depended on it. I guess that's my jealousy coming out because it just looks so damn good.
      There's always a way, figure it out.
      78XS11E

Comment

OK, first thanks for all the good words, but I have to dispell some myths that seem to be materializing:

I did not polish the engine. I did painstakingly clean it with degreaser, wire brushes, Dremel, Q-tips and finally painted with Duplicolor Aluminum Engine Paint.

So the exhaust studs are not polished, that's paint.

All aluminum covers ( except valve cover still) have been polished the old fashioned way, with progressively finer sandpaper 120, 220, 400, 600 and final buffing with emory and rouge.

Aluminum foil? If you're talking about the frame tag, that's just the angle of the flash.

The paint on the tank and side covers has not been rubbed out yet. The tank and side covers are painted with Duplicolor Lacquer #GM380. I actually have to re-paint because through discussions with another member Chevy454, (thanks) and Duplicolor Tech Dep't found out that their standard clear coat is not fuel resistant. They do make a fuel reistant clear, though. It's their High Heat Engine Clear Coat. Unfortunately the high heat clear is not compatible with the regular clear so I can't just clear over clear, the high heat will eat the standard clear. So, it' a re-paint job. Oh well, do it once I say and do it right.

Pathfinder, it doesn't show well, but if you take a close look, I have already moved the rear blinkers.

I do not have the intestinal fortitude to actually calculate how much money I've spent on this project, but to give you a clue, I've sold all 16 of my antique radio's, two revolvers and one rifle to buy parts and supplies. The way I figure it, I've traded two hobbies for this one, so it's less financially painful.

I now the rush will be worth it it the long run. Guns and old radios are a dime a dozen, but the XS is a labor of love. But of course, I speak to the converted.

Thanks again, guys,

Randy

Comment

Well if the Dupli-color clearcoat isn't gas resistant it still does a pretty good job. I used the Truck and SUV stuff. I had read the past posts about it not being gas resistant so I was being extra careful. Well one day I was putting gas in from a gas can and the spout must not have been on tight enough. It was leaking gas all over my tank! I was almost in tears! But as it turns out not a darn thing happened to the paint. Nothing! Maybe the SUV stuff is different than the other stuff.

Kevin
          '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
          [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

Very pretty Kev. Looks like I'm going to have to spend some more time on Twilite Special, just to keep up with you and Randy.

Comment

Sorry

All right you guys are going to have to stop with these great looking bikes, you shame me. Sidecar you also have a great looking bike.
              Randy what I was referring to on the aluminum foil I thought that's what was in the exhaust ports. I looked a the small pic now looking at the big one I see it's not. Again the small pic and tired eyes I see you did move the blinkers.
              I'm going out to the garage to talk and show her pics of yours to see if maybe she will clean herself up. You think she may be envious and do it before I get home? Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing. Well you know how sometimes things don't work then miraculously they fix themselves. Well a guy can hope.
              78XS11E

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                Yes, Tommy.

Tygon vacuum and fuel lines to match the yellow copper core spark plug wires. I did the spark plug wire / coil fix that is in the posts and used Accel wires.

Randy
                Hi Randy, are you still using Tygon vacume lines, I just put mine on today and noticed the fuel vacume lines were collapsing at the bend with less than 3000rpm on the tach. I'm changing back.
                78XS11E

Comment

Jeez John, is your bucket of bolts still not on the road yet? I think you'll need to look seriously at getting a harley. Never mind - send the carbs down here and I'll clean them for ya - free of charge.

Grinning kiwi - rubbing it in.

Comment

h-d? Bucket o'bolts? I got yer bucket o' bolts! Actually, the bolts are in a box, so ~~~~ I messed up the first seal by trying to cheat on installation, so I had to reorder, and I got the wrong one, so I reorderd again. It's been to damned hot and humid to work out in the garage lately, but I do need to get off my ass and get it done. If you want to spend a whole bunch of money on Quantas, then you can come up here to clean my carbs, and if you do a good job, I might let you ride it to feel how a real bike runs I won't won't send the carbs down under, 'cause you may keep 'em, and send me back your dirty ones.

Comment

To Pathfinder;

If your tygon lines are kinking on the bends due to vacuum, try increasing the radius of the bend.

I haven't experienced that yet, although I have come accross lines that were sold as Tygon but were something else, very flimsy. If it doesn't say Tygon stamped on the hose, then it probably isn't.

HTH

Randy

Comment

Here's my entry to the "most beautiful bike" awards. As can be seen, I've opted for a stunning 'classical rustic' look on my project. Many long hard hours were needed to get these awesome results. Unbelievably, this vision of beauty was very cheap to prepare. I was particularily pleased with the subtle matching of maroon shades on the cylinders and tank. It hints of a lovely old world charm.

Sadly, I can't seem to quite get the bike running properly yet. mmmm... maybe some new spark plugs will do it.

[IMG] http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~patrick/rust4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~patrick/rust.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Looks like a Utah XS11..... Seems I can never find them any better than that here...
                          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                          1982 XS650
                          1980 XS1100g
                          1979 XS1100sf
                          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

PPG, that's a nice bike I hope that some day in the not so near futur, I to can have a fine looking/ running jewel as the one I just saw. I think I'll print out that pic and post it in my garage next to the pic I have of a pimpin in da hood Yami 4 wheeler. It will also be a reminder to MIYAMI to not act up or this is the result.
                            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                            1-big XS patch
                            1-small XS/XJ patch
                            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Sorry Czekus, that was pretty bad. I'd better smarten up and send a pic of my 'real' bike.

Comment

It's all good. I hope you wern't thinkin that I was talkin about the side car. Now That's a nice bike. I was talking about the link. I did print out a picture of that and hung it in the garage as a reminder.
                                I tried to find the link for the yami' quad runner with the 22" pimpin wheels but I can't find it.
                                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                                1-big XS patch
                                1-small XS/XJ patch
                                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X