Cutting Down Fairing Windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Down Fairing Windshield?

So my fairing windshield is way too tall. I would say that when I am looking straight at it I am looking through about 4 inches below the top edge.

So my question is this. Where about should the top edge of the windshield be?

And, what's the best way to cut the windshield?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

about 4" lower...not sure on the best way to cut it...a band saw??
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Nate,

Can't advice very well about the height...recent threads have stated that it should be about CHIN high to prevent the buffeting...but not totally sure.

As for cutting it....again, I would hope that it's made with LEXAN and not Plexiglass. Lexan is easier to cut because it's not brittle. Plexi is more brittle and so needs a finer toothed blade. When I made my replacement shield that was out of Plexiglass...I used a REVERSE cutting blade...it cut on the UP stroke so that the jigsaw base would provide stabilty against the material while cutting...moved the blade slowly but had the blade jigsawing at a very high rpm/cycle rate. Lexan will be easier.....can use same setup if you like with less worries about making cracks! OR you could try a large cut off wheel on a dremel tool....but you'll get a fair amount of MELTING in the cut with the LEXAN with that approach.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have heard many people say that nose height is the correct height for a windshield, might want to look into that a little more before cutting. You really don't want to be looking thru the shield, just above it.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          So my fairing windshield is way too tall. I would say that when I am looking straight at it I am looking through about 4 inches below the top edge.

So my question is this. Where about should the top edge of the windshield be?

And, what's the best way to cut the windshield?
          Hi Nate,
          Here you go. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14011
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Nate, I've had good luck cutting thicker plexi with a router. A laminate bit works best, but any smaller sharp bit should do the job. Use a fabricated guide, and you'll only have some medium sanding to do for finish. I'll agree with Bikerphil on height...
            Last edited by crazy steve; 08-04-2015, 09:37 PM.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah, it is insanely tall and annoying. It is, I am assuming, the original Pacifico windshield so, considering it's age, is still in decent shape but not crystal clear anymore. It is just so big! Plus I hate looking through it.

I figured I would probably use a fine tooth blade in a jig saw. Tape both sides and then I can easily mark my line. I will probably just take a little off at a time try it for a few rides at each height before I do the finish sanding.

Any other thoughts or discussion on height is welcom! It will be a little bit before I start cutting.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Windshield height

I can not tell you the answer to that either.The top of mine happens tobe right at eye level, litte anoying at times.But. what I can say is you do not want lexon .Scratches.way to easy.Like just cleaning it leaves fine lines.Have to be very careful from start.Plastics something by maguires works well on it.100% cotton only to clean with.Next time plexiglass for me.Good luck...
                1980xs1100.sg Pacifica Fairing ..stock.
                2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.! ⛺

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Yeah, it is insanely tall and annoying. It is, I am assuming, the original Pacifico windshield so, considering it's age, is still in decent shape but not crystal clear anymore. It is just so big! Plus I hate looking through it.

I figured I would probably use a fine tooth blade in a jig saw. Tape both sides and then I can easily mark my line. I will probably just take a little off at a time try it for a few rides at each height before I do the finish sanding.

Any other thoughts or discussion on height is welcom! It will be a little bit before I start cutting.
                  NO not a jig saw they jerk up and down to much and will case cracking, use a band saw (best) a dremel tool is doable but slow with a lot of clean up with a mill file also easier to rework the edge after cutting than sanding, you should look about two inches over the top of the window, use masking tape on both sides of the glass to prevent accidental marring
                  where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                  Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I added an extension made of lexan ( not plexiglass) to my windshield. I taped it- both sides- marked it, used a bandsaw, and went at a medium paced feed. No splinters, cracks, or any poor results. Do a little sanding, and Voila! It's all good.
                    79 F
                    Previously owned: (among others)
                    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                    1973 Suzuki TM 125
                    1979 XS1100 F
                    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                    1991 BMW K75

Comment

Hey Jayel,

I have to disagree....took me a little while to find my old photos....couldn't find my old post about it, was 1 year after I got my bike rebuilt and after I had dumped it on my first LDR Rally ride to Alexandria Bay NY ~2002 IIRC.

Here are the photos of my windshield replacement process using PLEXIGLASS, and I cut it with an "UPCUTTING" fine toothed jigsaw blade/saw, and as you can see, I made some intricate cuts...straight and curved!!

Yes, Plexi is more scratch resistant, but it also SHATTERS fairly easily with impacts...see the photo of my shield with corner broken off. There's a YouTube video showing the difference between LEXAN and Plexiglas if you're interested in searching for it. IF you want actual IMPACT protection....ie. large rock/bottle/tire shred, etc. then you will want to use LEXAN. But if you arent' too worried about that, then Plexiglas is fine....YMMV.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Windshield

I don't have a problem looking through my windshield. A shield that is too low is worse than no shield. This is especially true when using an open face helmet. Just too much buffeting. I clean it, then apply Pledge on both sides afterward to make it clearer. If you end up making a new one, you can buy Lexan that is scratch resistant. Use this stuff in my race cars. You can barely scratch it with sand paper. It is just that tough.
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

When you decide on a height, here's some ideas on how to do it:

Cutting down a windshield
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

I just put this fairing on the other day...windshield was way too high....this picture is "after" I cut it down three inches....

Still too high.......i used a low tech way to guage the right height....riding at about sixty, i moved my hand straight up in front of my helmet till I felt the wind on my hand...estimated it at four inches above the top of my melon....but, remember, its easier to subract windshield than to add so I went three.....rode it again, figured on another inch ish.....cut it down with a bandsaw, cleaned up and polished the edges, works like a charm...
                            I've also used a small circular blade for a dremel, looks like a 1 inch skill saw blade.....I chucked it in my drill because the dremel is too fast and not adjustable....that worked well too
                            Mark
                            1980 xs1100g 3H5.......
                            1992 Ducati 907ie
                            2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal

Comment

Passengers

I got the 'tall' windshield for the fairing on my '80G and left it alone but I did get the pop-out vents this time.

The 'tall' windshield is a little too tall for me but I tried to cut one down before and it put the passenger's head in the turbulence, which put my head right back in heavy turbulence at the first rest stop.

-- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X