carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs

Are there any mods/changes require to fit carbs from 1979 XS1100SE to 1978 XS1100?
    XS11

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
    Are there any mods/changes require to fit carbs from 1979 XS1100SE to 1978 XS1100?
    If you mean a 1979 SF Special to a 1978 E, nope, nothing needs to be changed if the carburetors are still stock and they haven't been monkeyed with.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

carbs

Thanks for your reply, the carbs were advertised as 79SF but using Crazy Steve's Carb Identifier they are 80-82, any changes (in addition to jets) to fit them on a 78?
      XS11

Comment

not really

jets and metering follow the carb body, not the motor. The only thing to really watch for is that the vents in the upper air box need to be drillied out if you are using 78/79 carbs and 80/81 air box. Of course this is moot if you have pods. Geez missed the SF to an E part, no problems as Scottt said!
        Last edited by mack; 07-27-2015, 02:47 PM.
        mack
        79 XS 1100 SF Special
        HERMES
        original owner
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
        SPICA
        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
        IOTA
        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
        Frankford, Ont, Canada
        613-398-6186

Comment

carbs

standard airbox - so no mods required - correct?
          XS11

Comment

Correct. The later carbs only have 2 "T"s, for the fuel. Earlier carbs have 4 "T"s, two above the fuel "T"s are for bowl vent. They plug into the airbox, so if you have the old style aitbox, you SHOULD cap the two plastic nipples on top to keep the dirt out of the engine.
            Other than that, I've swapped carbs back and forth between years with no problems. As Mac said, carbs need to be jetted for the year of the carb body, and not the engine.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I put a set of stock '80G carburetors on a 1978E (Planedick's Pathfinder ) and they worked perfectly.

There were no problems and we plugged the float bowl vent holes in the airbox too.

-- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Carbs

thanks for the info guys, hopefully the old girl will be back on the road soon, just need some summer weather to enjoy, ah we have summer weather - it's tonking it down!
                XS11

Comment

Well, work on it in the dry, and dash out when it stops! I've been to the UK in November, so I know how it can get.....
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Carbs

Having established that the carbs are from 80/82 model, I’m now looking at the fuel pipes. From DiverRay’s reply:
                    “The later carbs only have 2 "T"s, for the fuel. Earlier carbs have 4 "T"s, two above the fuel "T"s are for bowl vent”
                    The fuel pipes attached to the carbs have 4 “T”s, I have photos but can’t figure out how to attach without using an URL which I don't have. Please drop me a line @ joesoap126@hotmail.com for the pics if you can advise on this one. Cheers Dave
                    XS11

Comment

Working...
                    X