no heat on pipe on number four cyl on my dresser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another day of swapping parts, cleaning etc, nuttin workn

Here is a list of things that I did today,,, I put the new iridium plug back in number four, put the old plug from four into number one for kicks, four is still not running and one is running good, I also polished the seat and checked the needle for grooving in three and four,, I also swapped the four seat and needle into three, and three into four,,,four is still not running and three is running good, I checked the pilot jet for four , cleaned it, and blew thru the passages with cleaner,, the vents are all clear,, cleaner blows thru them fine,, I ran it at 3500 rpm, but only about forty seconds since I ran it out of gas at that point, nevertheless, no heat from number four,,,re bench test for leaks anywhere,, no problem even when I pressured the fuel going into the bowls with everything I could blow into it,,, so here we are,, accomplished nothing so far,, about the only thing I did not do today that I wanted to was check the primary voltage on the coils,, I cant reach into the area ,, so I have to check the manual to see how to get in there. Anybody have any great ideas?
    Bikes Now.
    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Compression

I wouldn't call a 100 lbs great compression. Did you check all the cylinders to see if they are all close to the same number? I think the book calls for 150 cold and I believe they should all be within 10% of each other.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

compression, I know a hun is a bit low

This bike has sat for four years, maybe three, cold compression after its been sitting can be quite different from a running cylinder, and I have had lots of vehicles, that only have a hundred pounds, HOT, that run fine. But yes, I have checked the comp of all those cyls before, and they were hot, over a hun fifty, and it cant have more than a couple hundred miles since they all checked that way. But I can fool around checking all the cyls again , but that aint stopping this cyl from running me thinks. I put this bike on cl last nite as a non running bike, Ive got lots of bikes that run, aint fooling much more time with this thing. Summer is a wasting here in the north.
        Last edited by yamtom; 07-03-2015, 10:20 AM.
        Bikes Now.
        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold

Comment

number four is now getting hot

Whatever happened, I dont know, since everything posted before was already done, I did not get to check the coils, I did pull the cover for the vac advance and push the vac advance thru the paces then just watched the steptoe vids, and started it up and the number four is ALIVE !!!!! Something tells me I am gonna be doing the steptoe wiring fix though later. Thanks all for the help. Gonna get the rear caliper cleaned out now. Thanks
          Bikes Now.

Comment

Working...
          X