How the heck do you get the front bearings out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the heck do you get the front bearings out

I read the other posts on this but I feel like I'm missing something I tried to pry the spacer over but I only get a millimeter of space on the inner race on the right side bearing not enough space to plant a screw driver or steel drift. Has anyone made a tutorial of this?
    79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
    Rasputin on Carburators:
    "It is just a mechanical beast that defies logic."

Motorcycle Wheel Bearing Replacement Harbor Freight will have a cheap version of the tool.

I've done it with a brass drift from the backside. It's not always easy to push the spacer out of the way and the bearing always gets wrecked.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Motorcycle Wheel Bearing Replacement Harbor Freight will have a cheap version of the tool.

I've done it with a brass drift from the backside. It's not always easy to push the spacer out of the way and the bearing always gets wrecked.
      Would this one work http://m.harborfreight.com/blind-hol...ler-95987.html
      Last edited by OMCC; 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM.
      79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
      Rasputin on Carburators:

Comment

Get a tall 5 gallon bucket clean all grease and dirt off of wheel and around hub. Get propane torch and run it around and round the hub of the wheel and then turn the wheel upside down over the bucket the bearing will nearly drop out.

You heat the hub do not get so close or leave heat in one spot so long you scorch the paint. If bearing does not drop usually just use an extension bar slid in and tap out they come.

Do both sides let cool clean grease and dirt from inner hub. Spray race with light oil wheel on bucket and now put bearing into race and go around the hub with torch again and a slight tap from a mallet handle should go in easy. For second bearing you have to do leaning to the side as heating will cause other bearing to slide out easily as you push second bearing in.

If this does not work easy then you must either have a wheel someone put lock tight on or its corroded.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
          Get a tall 5 gallon bucket clean all grease and dirt off of wheel and around hub. Get propane torch and run it around and round the hub of the wheel and then turn the wheel upside down over the bucket the bearing will nearly drop out.

You heat the hub do not get so close or leave heat in one spot so long you scorch the paint. If bearing does not drop usually just use an extension bar slid in and tap out they come.

Do both sides let cool clean grease and dirt from inner hub. Spray race with light oil wheel on bucket and now put bearing into race and go around the hub with torch again and a slight tap from a mallet handle should go in easy. For second bearing you have to do leaning to the side as heating will cause other bearing to slide out easily as you push second bearing in.

If this does not work easy then you must either have a wheel someone put lock tight on or its corroded.
          Tried this no luck kept the flame on for about a minute or two didnt want to do anymore as my roters are frozen in place and cant be removed without damaging them. Bearinga havent moved an inch.
          79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
          Rasputin on Carburators:

Comment

Originally posted by OMCC View Post
            It will, as long as the correct collett is in the kit.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I do take Rotors off as they work as heat sinks but usually as the grease starts to bubble and it takes way more than a couple of minutes they pop out. Now if you have painted the wheel with something like Krylon plastic coat it may burn the paint but I have never had an issue with the original paint. You will be better with the tool Marty suggested.
              To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
              1980 G Silverbird
              Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
              1198 Overbore kit
              Grizzly 660 ACCT
              Barnett Clutch Springs
              R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
              122.5 Main Jets
              ACCT Mod
              Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
              Antivibe Bar ends
              Rear trunk add-on
              http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Got it out

What I ended up doing was using this kit http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html

I connected all the pieces and expand the head in the bearing then I flipped the wheel over and set it on some saw horses so that the slide hammer was hanging from the wheel.

then I took a screw driver wide enough to span the inner race and placed the head on the bottom side of the bearing pullers teeth. I then hit the screw driver with a dead blow hammer alternating between the two pairs of teeth kinda like this(-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-) after dropping the hammer of thor on it a handful of time the bearing popped out.
                79 F Bobber/Cafe Hybrid
                Rasputin on Carburators:

Comment

[QUOTE=jetmechmarty;466832]Motorcycle Wheel Bearing Replacement Harbor Freight will have a cheap version of the tool.

That's a nifty tool but I have never had the need for one. I do one or two wheel bearings a year on my kids dirt bikes (three bikes + too much mud) and I have not had a problem yet with a brass punch, the spacer slides sideways easily. My front wheel bearing in my 80G are iffy, I will probably have to replace them soon. I hope I don't have to go through all this crap. This is the first "old bike" I have owned prior to this my bikes were 5 -15 years old. It seems like there is a lot of murphy's law going on with old bikes.
                  1980 G
                  Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Comment

Working...
                  X