Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Issue ????

Okay here is the problem.

I dont know if any of you have this issue in the past but here goes. As the temp here in Virginia rose Madness began to run worse and worse. Until finally unless I kept the throttle up it would just cut out. When it cut out I could smell gas big time.. I havent done anything else to the carbs after the airbox to cone filter thing. When I went out this morning had a hell of time getting it started so bad I had to charge the battery up. Now I can get it to start but OH BOy does it run rough.

Anyway the question is, what is the recommended timing setting and does anyone have any other ideas of what I should look at to for a solution to get me back rolling.
    Madness comes from within.

78 XS 1100 E (at Birth) "Madness"
    79 XS1100 parts bike "hunk of junk"
    83 Sportster "Lunacy"
    72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Found something

Okay,

I have found the Cylinders 1 and 4 arent firing I looked back at the tech tips and am now troubleshooting. I hope it isnt the Ignition box. We will see

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
    72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

Ignition boxes tend to last a long time and they don't seem to get a very high price on eBay. Unfortunately a bad ignition box will take you off the road for a while.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I found one for aroud 30 bucks on ebay just gotta wait a few days before the bidding is complete. I am still hoping to find one local..

83 Sportster "Lunacy"
        72 Shovel "Dark Shovel"

Comment

Rough Running

Springer, forget about the ignition box. It is one of your coils. One coil fires cylinders 1-4 and the other coil fires cylinders 2-3.
          Your diagnosis of no fire on 1 and 4 makes it pretty obvious. If it is not the coil proper then it is something that feeds that coil like a bad connection/terminal/wire what ever. Heat also has a lot to do with coils failing. So if it has gotten extra hot in your area lately likely a marginal coil has just died. RIP
          Ken/Sooke
          78E Ratbyk
          82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Couldn't it also be a messed up pickup coil wire set, since once side drives one coil!? Just another thing to check!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TopCatGr58 wrote:

Couldn't it also be a messed up pickup coil wire set, since once side drives one coil!? Just another thing to check!
              Bingo!
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Rough Running

I think that the pick up coil wires would fall under; "something that feeds the coils like bad connection/terminal/wire what ever".
                Pop the left engine cover off and start pulling/checking the pick up coil wires. If the engine was running on two cylinders then don't be to quick to blame the black box. If it was bad all cylinders would have the same problem.
                Ken/Sooke
                78E Ratbyk
                82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Guys, couldn't help but add my 2 cents.

The ignition circuits are almost completely seperate from pickup to coils, except for a very few common components in the box.

Pikup coil wires is a good call, as is all the other advice already given, but don't think one side of the box can't fail by itself. I know, I've experienced it twice. Once was cold solder joints, the other time on another box, one output transisitor fried.

Keep troubleshooting following the good advice above and I'm sure you'll sort it out. Keep us posted.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                  X