charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging question

how long should it take for charging system to reach 14 volts. seems to me it takes to long to reach 14 volts. holding throttle at 3k takes about 1 minute maybe more to reach 14 volts. its a slow and steady climb to get there. but it gets there. cant get above 14 volts . does that sound normal. maybe something else going on.had to fix wires behind fuse box. and rewire connector at the regulator. bike has always been reliable.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

You may want to check the grounds at the reg/rec. Also, check the connector behind the fuse block if you have not already. How old is the battery? are the terminals clean? how is the battery ground to frame and engine? These are some of the common problems. I know you probably have taken care of them, but I'm just asking as I'm "working" at the moment.
    If all checks out, you may want to invest in one of Tony's reg/recs. They start charging a LOT sooner, and can handle more amps than the bike will put out, so they last forever.... The price can be hard to swallow, but an ebay one can cost $40 for the same old reg/rec that you have now.
    Link to site:http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html
    Last edited by DiverRay; 06-09-2015, 09:41 AM.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      You may want to check the grounds at the reg/rec. Also, check the connector behind the fuse block if you have not already. How old is the battery? are the terminals clean? how is the battery ground to frame and engine? These are some of the common problems. I know you probably have taken care of them, but I'm just asking as I'm "working" at the moment.
      If all checks out, you may want to invest in one of Tony's reg/recs. They start charging a LOT sooner, and can handle more amps than the bike will put out, so they last forever.... The price can be hard to swallow, but an ebay one can cost $40 for the same old reg/rec that you have now.
      Link to site:http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Reg_rec_units.html
      Those guys are high. Hope I never need one. I have a charging problem that I have not looked at yet. Still working on the engine, etc.

Bill
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Jardine Spaghetti with Harley Mufflers

Comment

I noticed you are not checking the ampere's but just the voltage. Is there a reason for this. I would think measuring the ampere's would give you a better picture. What does everyone else think?

Bill
        1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Bill, an ammeter would be nice.

Graybird, how's the battery and the battery connections?

If it helps you at all, the XS11 charging system is almost exactly the same as the old Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth charging system but with a remote Rectifier bridge instead one bolted up inside the alternator. You can even use one of their old Regulators if the XS11's Rectifier bridge is still good but the Regulator goes to Silicon Heaven.

Slow voltage rise and a low upper voltage limit could be one or a combination:
          Bad ground(s)
          Low/bad battery hogging the alternator output
          Bad Voltage Regulator connections
          Bad Voltage Regulator
          Bad Voltage Rectifier diode bridge

Full-Field the Alternator:
          The Brown wire supplies voltage/current to the alternator field coil.
          The Green wire is the return from the field and the Voltage Regulator, uh, regulates the voltage by controlling the ground.

If you short the Green wire to ground at the 3-wire Voltage Regulator connector that will full-field the alternator.

If the voltage comes up when you full-field the alternator there's a bad Regulator ground/connector or the Regulator is smoaked.

-- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

to all who have replied. the battery is 2 yrs old.has 70% capacity.battery connections are clean.battery shows 12.6 volts. 3000rpms with volt meter hooked to battery,voltage ramps up to 14.2 volts and holds steady.i have repaired the connection behind the fuse panel. ifound when i pulled the tank off to rebuild the petcocks and octy that the connector that has the three white wires and black and red wires that the red wire had gotten really hot ,melted the connector really bad. i had a spare reg rectifire but from an xj. wired it in seems to be working. i did not use the extra red and black wires. let me know if i should and were to connect them.never had any charging issues. any other connectors to look at. thank you for all your help.
            when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
            80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

How is your charging system doing now?

Bill
              1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

well bill for the time being it is charging again.i did replace the regulator rectifier with 1 from an xj. im hoping it was just crapy connection .

graybird78
                80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I am having the same problem. I have a donor 79 Special that has a rect/regulator that I might try. I think this one was replaced and looks new right before I got the bike.

Bill
                  1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by BowlingSS View Post
                    I am having the same problem. I have a donor 79 Special that has a rect/regulator that I might try. I think this one was replaced and looks new right before I got the bike.

Bill
                    I took the donor rect/reg and it looked pretty bad. I cleaned it up and installed it. The voltage looks a lot better now. I think I found my problem.

Thanks everyone. I am glad I have a donor.

Bill
                    1980 XS1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                    X