Need help with technical understanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with technical understanding

In 2010 I got in an accident got hit on my xj1100 well I got a big fat nothing from the accident not even enough to fix my bike. There was much more damage to me than the bike. Now part of my thigh is on my ankle. Anyway I have got the bike road worthy again or as close to road worthy since I am flat broke aand have been since the accident that is why it took so long to get her back on the road, fulfilling my promise to fix her.

Even before the accident the first gear issue with it jumping into neutral at 3000 rpm after doing some readingend here I have a better understanding of the operation and how the transmission functions. The tranny fix is a bit beyond my abilities right now also this is the only bike I own. I am just having a problem understanding what is causing it to jump from 1st to neutral. I can sort of understand how to fix it. But doing this repair would take months for me to do also since the repair is a kind of re-engineering of the existing parts I don't have enough faith in my abilities also a lack of funds inhibits things as well.

Another question I had in a previous post it was suggested to use a Castrol 20w 50 but I used a 10w 40 motorcycle cycle oil instead of the 10w 30 mobil one I was uding since I wss worried that the mobil one would affect the clutch and maybe cause slipping. Tonight under some hard acceleration I in think the clutch slipped slightly. Now the bike hss only 11,000 miles on the odometer. Now 20w 50 is quite heavy would this help and maybe cause the bike to shift a little smoother could it cause the engine to run hotter? Also since my accident I can't shift into first gear unless I use my heel to tap it into gear. Even though I need to get out of first before 3000rpm or it goes into neutral without having the gears sounding like they are bouncing off one another. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The 1st/2nd gear issues with these bikes is caused by the rouding of the leading edge of the gears where they mesh together. Under enough force, the rounded edges cause the gears to push apart for a slight second, then grab the next available landing on the gear, but does actually stay in gear. Over time, less and less force is needed to push these gears apart until eventually, they hold no pressure at all.

Your problem sounds to me more like they gear isn't engaging fully at all since it goes from in gear to a false neutral. This could mean your shift drum isn't turning quite far enough for some reason. The easiest problem would be under your shifter cover where the actuating arm actually pushes/pulls the shift drum, You could have some bent/misaligned pins. Also, as you see in this picture, the two lines these arrows point at should be aligned if it's in 2nd gear.

If everything looks good there, I would lean more towards you having a bent shifter fork. If someone before you was having the trouble you speak of, they may have been holding down the shifter with their foot to keep it from shifting out of gear and this can bend that shift fork, or wear on it enough so it can't push the gear far enough over to engage it fully.

And yes... 20/50 oil. Good for these bikes.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I concur

with Big. Always check the easy to get at stuff first.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

Let me try the clutch question...
        Tonight under some hard acceleration I in think the clutch slipped slightly. Now the bike has only 11,000 miles on the odometer.
        It's not just how many miles, but how old the bike is that is the problem. The clutch springs have been compressed since the bike was built. The easy and low money fix is replace the springs with new Barnett springs. I've used most of the springs available at one time or another, and the Barnett's are the only brand that seems to be better than stock. The Versa's slipped out of the gate, and some of the others are made of smaller wire and just will not last, IMHO.
        Put you location and bike in the signature, and maybe there is an owner nearby who would be willing to help for a beer or two....
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thank for all the information

Thanks for giving me a better understanding of what is going on in the transmission.

Birthplace of Harley Davidson.

I live only a mile from the old Capitol Drive engine plant. The only thing that is still on the property is the engine development department. This is where they designed and built the all electric LiveWire

Comment

So I guess when one mentions or refers to a picture, one should probably post said picture, right? lol. Sorry...

Also, as you see in this picture, the two lines these arrows point at should be aligned if it's in 2nd gear.
            But that should be that those two lines on the left and the two dots on the right should all line up in 2nd gear. This one is showing the lines out of line.

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own