DYI... Spooge Hole Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DYI... Spooge Hole Probe

Had a real hard time clearing my clogged spooge holes.... everything I had on hand would bend or break.... so went to the closet pulled out an extra hanger cut it down to 4 inch size, put it in my drill... put drill in reverse and in high gear... turned on grinder it spins from top down so drill in reverse spins from bottom up this gave the most precise diameter to get the job done.... even taking as much off as it needed it still is remarkably strong....

While your at it you mite as well make the necessary carb cleaning probes for all the various orifices....

Um Honey what happened to all the extra hangers in the closet...... Um idunno..

1979 F worst one i could find
    to convert into a bobber/ streetfighter!

We can't all get along!

I'd be leery of sticking anything metal in anything on my bike that I cannot see, that needs to be cleaned. However, K&L and Mikuni does make a set of cleaning wires for carbs.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Well, unfortunately you just enlarged the spoonge hole.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Well, unfortunately you just enlarged the spoonge hole. Good luck.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Worse yet, doing this probably left a 'burr' around the hole in the bore that will damage the seal....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey, Feathers, nice job, man!

Yes, you do have to make sure you don't leave a burr inside the master cylinder but then you have to do that even if you just poke a wire in there to get rid of the 'normal' brake system spooge and push it down inside the master cylinder too. Well, you're supposed to clean it out but the pressure return hole is just that: a hole.

It is not a precision metering orifice, it's just relatively small to minimize that immediate fountain of brake fluid inside of the reservoir whenever the brake is released so it doesn't get all aerated and stop working.

Keep it clean.

-- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

That spooge hole is pretty far back in the bore. I think even if there were a burr its behind the point the rubber piston seal travels.

I think he will be OK.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

John,

Not really. The best, clearest illustration I could find for a motorcycle brake master cylinder was over on the Harley TechTalk dot org site and it explains the pressure return.

Scroll down the page to Reply #14:-
                harleytechtalk: Rear Brake Failure

The images are linked from their site to i.imgur.com by the author:
                FSG
                BrisVegas in Oz
                Administrator

-- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I checked it out, very informative.

Does anybody know the diameter of the spooge hole? My guess is .012"
                  1980 G
                  Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Comment

Originally posted by 1887 View Post

I checked it out, very informative.

Does anybody know the diameter of the spooge hole? My guess is .012"
                    Same size as your coat hanger....now.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Same size as your coat hanger....now.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Let's see...I have a completely disassembled MC with clogged (white death) dry as the desert sponge hole....nothing could free it...the DYI did as soft as the hanger is I feel no damage inficked and would do it again if same conditions present themselves...the bore was honed after and before reassembly...results brakes that fully function.

We can't all get along!

Comment

I see no problem using that tool, you and I would of course use it carefully not to inflict any damage. Others may not be so careful and possibly butcher things. Good job, glad you got the problem licked.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            I see no problem using that tool, you and I would of course use it carefully not to inflict any damage. Others may not be so careful and possibly butcher things. Good job, glad you got the problem licked.
                            My thoughts exactly.....others don't be afraid to use one if necessary...use it like your trying not to pop a ballon...all will be just fine...

We can't all get along!

Comment

Working...
                            X