No announcement yet.

High altitude issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without reading the paper, I'll make a WAG that it's easier to ionize air at low pressure because there are fewer molecules to ionize so less energy is required for flashover from point A to point B. I could be totally full of Malarky too but it seems right.

Anyway, aside from making sure you don't have weak or cracked coils, keep the plug wires in good shape and use dielectric grease.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      Because you can run one size cooler spark plug doesn't mean it doesn't get spark.

OK, I don't think it's a rich issue because the plugs don't show a rich condition.
      #3 showed rich as heck.. Don't know where you're going with this? Instead of the simplest answers, we're going after scientific research papers over sparks at whatever altitude.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        fewer molecules to ionize
        What will carry more electrickery, a small wire or a large wire?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          #3 showed rich as heck.. Don't know where you're going with this? Instead of the simplest answers, we're going after scientific research papers over sparks at whatever altitude.
          #3 is always a little darker because of valve stem seals leaking. It's color was normal as it ever is. as a matter of fact, that is exactly how they look whenever I pull them here at 722ft.

That paper was just something I came across in a search. I'm trying to figure out a problem and I have some people I'm having a conversation with that are attempting to help. If the conversation irritates, or somehow offends you, you are welcome not to participate.

Since I've gotten back the bike has seemed sluggish even unloaded, I attribute that to the stuck breaker plate. You win that one. But, the timing would have to be WAYYYYY off to cause the misfire I was getting. But when I changed the coils the engine woke right up.

Of course, it would need to be tested at 8000+ to be certain and I'm not planning on a trip to the continental divide in the very near future.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Motoman was doing this goofy pilot setting method last summer and was way rich at the rally and gave me carbon monoxide poisoning when following him up Pikes Peak. We started backing down the adjustment to lean it up a bit and were on the right track before he left for home.

True, but one can only compensate so much with idle mixtures due to faulting fuel levels, which WAS the case upon further inspection.....twice as LOW as they were supposed to be. Heck, just open them throttle plates more to suck those low levels......yea, right. Fortunately the VF Honda coils were 'hot' enough to fire sooty-black plugs the whole 1300mi. trip, even tho over-fueling made a feeble attempt otherwise. The 31.5mpg overall sucked(litterally) with it normally being in the 38-42mpg range, same hiway riding.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Here is 3 and 4 today after swapping the coils and a hard 5 mile run....

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Those plugs look consistent in color, guess that is an improvement?

Fires don't burn nearly as well at altitude, less oxygen to use in combustion. Of course they DO burn, but just like a bike is down on power and your lungs yearn for more O2, a fire could always do better with more O2 as well.

Take a gas cooking stove (Coleman Peak 1 for example, a classic backpacking stove) and at 10,000 feet it will take much longer to boil a quart of water than at lower elevation even though water boils at a much lower temperature at hgh elevation. Less O2, less BTU'S out of the stove.
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Here is 3 and 4 today after swapping the coils and a hard 5 mile run....

Tis ALL about the elektrickery.....in this case looked to be BOTH prim. and sec. ignition.......as is normally the case as I originally suspected.

Ahhh.....come on over the Divide Greg, weathers great and the water cold.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

What will carry more electrickery, a small wire or a large wire?
                    A large wire will carry more current but either one can take as much voltage as you can apply. Voltage without current is static electricity.

Flashover doesn't need to use wires, it's like lightning and travels through the air and along surfaces as it goes from A to B along the path of least resistance, hopefully one that doesn't have you in it.

Air pressure doesn't do anything to electrons. You can't squish them and they don't expand so the only way flashover could happen at a lower voltage at higher altitude is if it takes more energy to travel through thick air than thin air.

A flashover that was able to start at a lower voltage because the air pressure was lower probably wouldn't release as much heat because it didn't spend extra energy heating up more air molecules while it was flashing from A to B.

I need a beer.

Oh, and the plugs look great now!
                    Last edited by 3Phase; 05-31-2015, 08:33 PM. Reason: Not enough beer
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Motoman was doing this goofy pilot setting method last summer and was way rich at the rally and gave me carbon monoxide poisoning when following him up Pikes Peak. We started backing down the adjustment to lean it up a bit and were on the right track before he left for home.

Goofy?........I'll have you know that was some campground high-tec stuff goin on there......heck, Scott even did valve shim swaps before I rolled out of the bag one morning. That area was total high tec...in the dirt even.

Comment

Brant, why are you referring to yourself in the third person? How could you follow yourself?

Having an out of body experience?
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Brant, why are you referring to yourself in the third person? How could you follow yourself?

Having an out of body experience?
                          Must be, as I don't remember how to copy and post a previous post correctly anymore........and really could care less how to.

BTW, the only close outa' body experience I've had was narely missin' a T-bone and hittin' the pavement @50+mph, then 130ft. thru the air...........no helmet, no gear.......and Guardian Angel that apparently had kept up with the STeed.

Comment

Working...
                          X