High altitude issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High altitude issues.

Just got back from our trip out west. I really had no issues other than above about 8000 feet altitude my bike would sputter and misfire if I gave it more than about 1/2 throttle. The lower I got the better it ran.

trbig's and JWHughes' bikes seemed ok up there but mine SUCKED.

Any help. ( real help, not guesses).

I'm not sure if it was carbs or spark. Changed the plugs and that didn't seem to make a difference.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Just got back from our trip out west. I really had no issues other than above about 8000 feet altitude my bike would sputter and misfire if I gave it more than about 1/2 throttle. The lower I got the better it ran.

trbig's and JWHughes' bikes seemed ok up there but mine SUCKED.

Any help. ( real help, not guesses).

I'm not sure if it was carbs or spark. Changed the plugs and that didn't seem to make a difference.
    A definite-possibility may................just gonna sit this one out and watch.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      ... ................just gonna sit this one out and watch.
      Isn't it a little late in the season for the Cadbury Bunny screen tests? <G,D&R>

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Okay, I'll bite!

Greg, it sounds like you may be a bit rich on your jetting, which works okay at lower altitudes with more dense air, but when you're running at that altitude, the air is way thinner, and even though the carbs are C-V type and are supposed to adjust to the less dense air, it seems like you're over jetted. That, or your floats are a bit too high, or both.

That's my theory/take on it, don't know how Tod and John's bikes are jetted/tuned? Stock jetting was always a bit leaner to begin with due to the EPA regs, at least in the latter years, but custom tuning adjustments for strongest sea level performance may not be good for the very high thin altitude air!?

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

When Greg changed the plugs in Grand Junction, they all looked good except #3 which was black and sooty. I thought his #3 slide diaphragm has a pinhole, letting that slide drop, but he thinks it's more electrical.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
            Isn't it a little late in the season for the Cadbury Bunny screen tests? <G,D&R>

Likely.........but this is way better, and I hear the popcorn almost ready.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              When Greg changed the plugs in Grand Junction, they all looked good except #3 which was black and sooty. I thought his #3 slide diaphragm has a pinhole, letting that slide drop, but he thinks it's more electrical.
              pinhole lets slide/metering rod rise.......good call, worth checking #3 diaphram for issue elimination out of equation.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                pinhole lets slide/metering rod rise.......good call, worth checking #3 diaphram for issue elimination out of equation.
                If it was leaking it wouldn't rise, it would lag behind the others and LEAN out that carb.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If it was leaking it wouldn't rise, it would lag behind the others and LEAN out that carb.
                  Mmm, the slide would lift late, close early and make that carburetor really rich. Opening early and closing late would make it really lean or one of the original 7-11s.

The smaller venturi creates a greater pressure differential (vacuum) across the top of the needle jet/emulsion tube as the intake air velocity goes up along with the engine rpm.

That would lift a bunch of extra fuel through the main jet and if the diaphragm is really bad it'd probably keep digging for whatever's in the bottom of the float bowl too, not just the fuel.

-- Scott
                  _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

OK, I sorta get what your saying Scott but as the slide lifts the needle gets thinner ie making the main jet orifice larger. More flow.

Otherwise, why should it lift at all other than to let more air in?
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I had similar issues with Tsunami the year SWMBO and I attended the rally at Colorado Springs. I started having issues on the way up Independence Pass, and by the time we were on the day ride around Pike's Peak, it got so bad I had to throw in a full fresh set of plugs. Got home from that trip and dropped the floats across all four carbs by a couple of mms if memory serves, and that seemed to solve the problem. I haven't been over anything quite that high since, but mileage increased substantially, and plugs stay much cleaner.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

I know when mine had holes, the slides were dropping, letting less air come through, but with the same draw as normal. If it can't draw the air, it'll draw fuel. At higher altitudes, the air is less dense, so the slide would have lifted even less, drawing even more fuel and running even worse.

Not saying it is the problem, but makes sense and worth checking out. If so, a little dab of silicone will work for a while.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

OK, I sorta get what your saying Scott but as the slide lifts the needle gets thinner ie making the main jet orifice larger. More flow.

Otherwise, why should it lift at all other than to let more air in?
                          The slide needle never does completely block off the emulsion tube and the main jet even when it's all the way down. Also, the pressure differential across the top of the tube is not quite linear or one-o-one.

I hate to go there but imagine blowing air across the top of a beer bottle or a jug of whiskey. The faster the air moves across the top, the more the 'sound' changes. If you drilled a hole in the bottom of the jug or bottle and moved the air fast enough across the top you'd get beer or whiskey to come out along with the sound.

You can control the flow out of the top of your beer bottle or whiskey jug with your thumb (the needle) but if the air's moving fast enough you'd have to completely cover the top to close the hole and that will never happen with a BS-34 carburetor.

The main jet, needle jet/emulsion tube and the jet needle/slide needle are all matched to work with a variable venturi that varies at the same rate and proportion as the other carburetors. They can compensate a little more or less but that's what tuning is all about.

I'll pull some numbers out from under my keyboard that don't have anything to do with reality but you'll get the idea. Imagine a pipe, any pipe, that is one meter long and has one cubic foot of air moving through it in one second.

Code:
                          Volume cf/s = 1 cubic foot/second
                          Velocity m/s = 1 meter/second

1cf/s at the Inlet     1cf/s in the middle   1cf/s at the Outlet
                          1m/s at the Inlet      1m/s in the middle   1m/s at the Outlet
                          Put a crimp in the middle of the pipe and the air will have to speed up as it goes through the crimp to maintain a volume of 1cf/s.

Code:
                          1cf/s at the Inlet     1cf/s in the middle   1cf/s at the Outlet
                          1m/s at the Inlet      3m/s in the middle   1m/s at the Outlet
                          For this totally oversimplified example, the air has to travel three times as fast through the restriction in the middle of the pipe to allow the same volume of air to flow and 1cf of air In to equal 1cf of air Out.

Next, drill a hole in the middle of the pipe where the crimp is and stick the neck of that drilled beer bottle or whiskey jug into the hole.

Cover the hole in the bottom of the bottle or the jug with your thumb.

Will you get better sound and more beer or whiskey if the restriction (slide) is more closed or more open?

If the air speed through the pipe is increased to 100m/s and the volume to 100cf/s you will get even more beer or whiskey and even more sound when your thumb gets sucked into the hole in the bottom of the bottle.

Last edited by 3Phase; 05-24-2015, 11:23 PM. Reason: Too much beer and whiskey
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

And now, from the opposing camp;
                            To paraphrase Motoman, half of carburetor problems are electrical.
                            The old vacuum tubes worked because the electrons could flow through the space between electrodes because there weren't any pesky air molecules getting in the way. And there are less air molcules at 8,000 feet than there are at 2,000 feet.
                            If your plug lead insulation is marginal, the electrons can slip their surly bonds and roam free, looking for a ground. And with fewer air molocules plugging the cracks in the insulation, the more electrons can slip out. You can see where this is going.
                            One problem with trying to find ONE cause for a condition is that in most cases, it is a multitude of causes that contribute.
                            Like moist air, with built in water to help surface conduction.
                            So, it could be ignition AND carburetion.
                            CZ

ps. We don't need no steeenking oil threads to have a good argument.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                              We don't need no steeenking oil threads to have a good argument.
                              Ha ha, don't want to argue, want to correct the problem. Not having full throttle on a 10% grade at 10000 feet with the temps dipping into the 30's and 20's is not a comfortable feeling.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X